Sheriffs' Association

/ Sheriffs' Association #11  
Disclaimer: I do NOT know about other states, or for that matter current affairs in Texas, . . . BUT

I would never contribute to such a request. I used to get those from the Texas state police association, Sheriff's association, and even from the Dallas police association. I still occasionally get phone calls for such requests.

But if you do some checking, I think you'll find that those organizations, while entirely legitimate, have allowed their name to be used by some professional fund raising organization. And what do they get for it, USUALLY ABOUT 10% OF THE MONEY RAISED. I think it's a shame that otherwise legitimate organizations allow their name to be used in that manner. If you really want more than 10% of your donation to go to the organization, get their address and donate directly; not through the unsolicited request from a fund raiser.

And the window stickers . . . well, I can't say they won't help you avoid a ticket in the case of a "minor" traffic violation, but probably not.

/ Sheriffs' Association #12  
We have the same thing in Florida. I don't think it helps with tickets, though. And before I give to anything, I ask what percent goes to the actual charity. I had one guy proudly tell me that over 10% went to them, like that was a lot. Anytime there is a paid fundraising outfit, they get the bulk of the money.

Larro

And you typed just a little faster than I did.:laughing:

/ Sheriffs' Association #13  
When the sheriffs department calls me I tell them I am working the other side of the street. Makes me smile anyways.

/ Sheriffs' Association #14  
The Sheriff's Association here solicits contributions directly, no other party gets involved. Most of the money is used for their annual Sheriff's Ranch where they take underprivileged kids from across the state for a week of summer camp, but some of it used for their lobbying efforts at the state capitol.

The stickers and license plate badges won't get you much, maybe a "Thanks for your support", and that's all. But as I look at it, if you can't handle a citation, then don't do anything that will get you one. That being said, I do have them on our vehicles, but mainly because I do support them and what else would I do with them?

/ Sheriffs' Association #15  
The Sheriff's Association here solicits contributions directly, no other party gets involved. Most of the money is used for their annual Sheriff's Ranch where they take underprivileged kids from across the state for a week of summer camp, but some of it used for their lobbying efforts at the state capitol.

The stickers and license plate badges won't get you much, maybe a "Thanks for your support", and that's all. But as I look at it, if you can't handle a citation, then don't do anything that will get you one. That being said, I do have them on our vehicles, but mainly because I do support them and what else would I do with them?

I don't know about other states, but I have never gotten a ticket from a County Sheriff, although both Sharn Jean and I have both been stopped several times by them on county/state roads. Seems they only get like $5.00 out of the ticket and the state gets the rest...so they have very little incentive to write a ticket as opposed to a warning. Local city police, however, are a different matter.

/ Sheriffs' Association #16  
I don't know about other states, but I have never gotten a ticket from a County Sheriff, although both Sharn Jean and I have both been stopped several times by them on county/state roads. Seems they only get like $5.00 out of the ticket and the state gets the rest...so they have very little incentive to write a ticket as opposed to a warning. Local city police, however, are a different matter.

I have always felt that part of the reason that some sheriffs departments are not keen on giving tickets vs warnings, is that the warning often gets the results just as well as the ticket.. You slow down, at least for a while. Plus the Sheriff's department is an elected position. In other words, every 4 years the Sheriff is going to have to answer to all those folks they gave tickets to.:)

/ Sheriffs' Association #17  
I never cared where the $ from a citation I issued went, wasn't in my "pay grade":) I have seen many "association" stickers and honestly, didnt change the way I performed in the stop.

I once stopped on older fella that we had complaints made through 911 (reckless driving and speeding), I ended up being the one that stopped him and he had 3-4 stickers on his car from various Sheriffs,PD and State troopers Assn. 1st thing he did was "flash a deputy badge" and didn't say a word. After looking at the badge it said "honorary", but he was trying to convince me at that point he WAS a deputy. I had DPS station contact the SO and was told this fella had done this before (his friend was a Sheriff") He was rude and once started to drive off saying "he didn't have time for this" He went to jail for impersonating a public servant.

Sorry for the story, this thread just jogged the memory.

I wouldn't give any assn money without due diligent research, many scams in LE and military donations. I have belonged to a couple that where designed to benefit family members of fallen officers, but now I wont since "most" are provided benefits through there local government entity.

/ Sheriffs' Association #18  
I have always felt that part of the reason that some sheriffs departments are not keen on giving tickets vs warnings, is that the warning often gets the results just as well as the ticket.. You slow down, at least for a while. Plus the Sheriff's department is an elected position. In other words, every 4 years the Sheriff is going to have to answer to all those folks they gave tickets to.:)
Here that wouldn't matter as the Sheriff overseas the Sheriff's department (the county police) and there are probably close to 100 officers. Plus the city police with a couple hundred officers, plus another town with 50 officers, plus a few other small towns with 2-3 officers in each of those..... oh heck, you know you deserved that ticket anyway! :laughing:

/ Sheriffs' Association #19  
Talk about coincidence . . . I just got a letter in the mail a few minutes ago, ostensibly signed by our local sheriff requesting money. Instead of the local sheriff (in Denton), the envelope to send any donations is addressed to the Sheriff's Association in Austin. And for $25 or more, they'll send window stickers and some other garbage. It all promptly went through my paper shredder.

/ Sheriffs' Association #20  
They are legit but most of the money does not go to the law enforcement agency they represent, maybe 10%, I doubt if it is that much. If you want to donate to a department donate to their K-9 program or Kevlar vests for officers, but my favorite is Shop with a Cop. Under privileged kids are taken on a shopping spree by police officers to buy Christmas presents for themselves and their families. Maybe it won't get you out of a ticket but the good karma from it could not hurt and you can write off on your taxes.