Sheild gas thoughts?

/ Sheild gas thoughts?
Thanks for the replies, this drop is with the flow adjusting knob shut off completely so if it's in the actual welder then it's also bleeding through that adjuster on the valve. I guess the next step is to take everything at the hose and beyond out of the equation to see if it is the flow valve itself.

By the way, this welder is great.

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #82  
I'd say just leak test your fittings when the gas is on. If you have no leaks, No worries. Just shut down when done and consider it good.

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #83  
What did you spray WITH? - I had a CGA 580 Tee (to run both mig gun and spool gun off one tank) that leaked unless you got pretty serious about tightening, and on the HIGH pressure side the gas tends to just blow LOW viscosity liquids AWAY before you see any bubbles.

More dish soap in water (if that's what you're using) or actual leak test liquid (yes, that's a REAL thing)

Radnor 8 Ounce Regular Temperature Leak Test Solution With Extension Tube: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

We used it a LOT in industrial instrumentation, but it's expensive - several drops of Dawn liquid soap in a spray bottle works almost as well for home use.

BTW, solenoid valves in general tend to leak by if there's ANY foreign material around, as Mark mentioned - a good check for that (once you get your SERIOUS leak found/fixed) is to shut the tank valve tight, but do NOT bleed the torch side down after use - my MM252 (and everything after the tank valve) holds pressure for a couple of DAYS after use (with the tank valve CLOSED)

IF you're losing a full bottle overnight, there might be a speck or two of dust in your tank valve's female (or regulator's male) fitting - this is a metal to metal (brass) connection, it MUST be super clean with no nicks or it WILL leak.

With everything EXCEPT Oxygen tanks I always crack the valve a bit (and blow it out with compressed air) BEFORE attaching a new tank. I also INSPECT both surfaces for any particles, nicks, burrs, etc, you never know who did what to that tank BEFORE you got it... Steve

Oh, another "check" I do (did I mention that us long-time instrumentation types are usually pretty OCD??!? :=)) - when I get a new bottle, after I SLOWLY crack the tank valve til I see the pressure SLOWLY rise on the HIGH pressure gauge, I GENTLY tap the gauge (they are mechanical inside, and tend to stick slightly) - then I put a small piece of electrical tape on the gauge face, ALIGNED with the pointer - this gives me a reference pressure on THAT TANK so I can see how fast it's going down. If it seems like it's changing too much, I'll RE-DO leak checks. So far, THAT little "quirk" hasn't shown that it's necessary, but ya never know :laughing:

/ Sheild gas thoughts?
Good information Steve. Yes I have a spray bottle with enough Dawn to show blue. I use it to find leaks on my vehicle tires.

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #85  
While we are on the subject of leaks, I was taught to also unset my pressure guage (release the settings so the diaphram relaxes). Anyone else follow this? Not that it is a huge deal to reset every time just not convenient.

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #86  
Woodland, I ALWAYS do this - I DON'T CARE whether it's convenient or not, that could have been the LAST THING I EVER LEARNED clear back in 1964 - a "shade tree" welder type did NOT do that, new Oxy bottle, hooked regulator up, opened the tank valve, and the regulator's Tee handle missed my ear by maybe a half inch on its way THROUGH 2 walls and bounced off a car outside.

If his "aim" had been better, I'd have missed out on the last 53 years of my life.

Guess which "camp" I'm in :D ...Steve

/ Sheild gas thoughts?
Ouch.....

As for my issue, Steve was spot on. I sprayed down where the valve connects to the tank and I got lots of bubbles. I didn't even think to look there, I assumed there was an r-ring or something. I sprayed everything else previously seeing no issues. :duh: Anyway, I removed the valve, cleaned/deburred the tip with high grit sandpaper till it shined, cleaned out the female side and reattached. I gave it a bit of extra tightening and the thing held fine for an hour with no drop so I'm calling it good.

Thanks for schooling this newb on MIG tanks. Hopefully this tank will last much longer. :D

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #88  
To quote that "A-team" guy, I LOVE it when a plan comes together :thumbsup: ...Steve