Sharpening drill bits

/ Sharpening drill bits #41  
I've been using the Drill Doctor for years on bits 3/16 & larger. Anything smaller takes more effort than it's worth. I just toss them & replace.
The box store drill doctor has limited capacity whereas the professional Darex drill doctor has a much wider range and a much higher cost as well. I have one and it sharpens end mills as well. Around 3 grand. Bought mine at a machinery auction for a grand.

/ Sharpening drill bits #43  
I've been using the Drill Doctor for years on bits 3/16 & larger. Anything smaller takes more effort than it's worth. I just toss them & replace.
It's that hour and 45 minutes to get to the hardware store that is the problem. You can also do lathe tools on a bench grinder, and it's right there. No gasoline required.

/ Sharpening drill bits #44  
Anyone ever free hand sharpen pilot point cobalt drill bits? If so how? Should I just grind what's left of the point off and try and sharpen it like a regular bit?
Thanks

/ Sharpening drill bits #45  
I have had an older (Blue, Tall cube shaped one) DD for years. It seemed to work really well for many years and then the last few times it was hit or miss. It may be I need to order a new grinding wheel for it. It also seems like I have to make sure I hold the bit by hand real tightly when I place it in the alignment port and tighten the collar or it will rotate.

I have successfully sharpened some larger bits 1/4" and up on the bench grinder.

It is really satisfying when you use a bit you sharpened either way and it produces large shavings or spirals instead of fine shavings and drilling a hole only takes a few seconds.

Did a search and I have the Classic Model 500 or maybe the 750. Classic Model 500 - Drill Doctor
I have to say, I like how it looks more substantial than the current models.
Same have the old Classic 750, I always test the bits on steel before I pass them- it is easy to get out of practice.

Ordered new old stock diamond wheels on ebay as well

/ Sharpening drill bits #46  
I got a Drill Doctor. I got their top of the line model for the added versatility. It takes awhile to go through your drill bit collection but it seems to do a good job. I went through all my bits because, like you, I could never seem to find a sharp one when needed. If you want to trash your old bits instead throw them my way. I'll even pay reasonable postage.
Approximately how many randomly sized bits would you estimate can be sharpened before replacing the diamond grinding wheel?

/ Sharpening drill bits #47  
I don't recall ever seeing anyone dip a bit in water to prevent burning, in a Drill Doctor demonstration, and don't understand why not. Will someone please enlighten me?

Last edited:
   / Sharpening drill bits #48  
My dad worked at a company that never sharpened their drill bits; just tossed them. He would bring them all home and sharpen them on a bench grinder. I don't know if the man ever bought a new drill bit in his life. I need to get a bench grinder.

/ Sharpening drill bits #49  
It's that hour and 45 minutes to get to the hardware store that is the problem. You can also do lathe tools on a bench grinder, and it's right there. No gasoline required.
Very true, you use what you have on hand.

I usually keep a supply of 3/16" & smaller bits around. I order on line and it doesn't cost much.

/ Sharpening drill bits #50  
I don't recall ever seeing anyone dip a bit in water to prevent burning, in a Drill Doctor demonstration, and don't understand why not. Will someone please enlighten me?
Because the sharpening wheel turns at a lower RPM so it don't heat un the bit like a bench grinder tends to do plus the collet that holds the drill while sharpening conducts the heat away from the tip of the drill bit.