Sharecropping question

/ Sharecropping question #1  

mattoxb

I am interested to know from anyone who does sharecropping or owns farm ground and has someone else farm it on 1/3s, are you doing a pure 1/3 to land owner and 2/3 to farmer? When I say 'pure' I mean the complete 1/3 to land owner without any expenses taken out.

/ Sharecropping question #2  
I am interested to know from anyone who does sharecropping or owns farm ground and has someone else farm it on 1/3s, are you doing a pure 1/3 to land owner and 2/3 to farmer? When I say 'pure' I mean the complete 1/3 to land owner without any expenses taken out.
I think where you are and what is being offered makes a big difference. Can you update your location?

Thanks,

Peter

/ Sharecropping question
Sure, how about in Illinois. Just an FYI, I tried to survey some local farmers and all I heard was what they want to do, as if I'm offering up new property. I don't feel I received honest answers to my question. I posted here thinking no one is bound to anything and might be more forthcoming.

/ Sharecropping question #4  
How much land are you talking about and what will the crop(s) be? Sharecropping used to be a thing around here when tobacco was our big cash crop. Nowadays we just rent/lease the land for row cropping. I can tell you this, if I were the farmer the land owner would get his % after bills were paid. Other wise I would just lease the land yearly.

/ Sharecropping question #5  
50 + years ago we share cropped some land and split seed and fertilizer costs with land owner. We supplied all the equipment, fuel, etc. to till, plant and harvest. I do not know of anyone doing share crop in this area anymore. It is all cash rent now.

Exception might be hay ground where cut and bale for a portion of the crop.

/ Sharecropping question #6  
Dryland high-plains ground is typically share cropped with 1/3 going to the owner and fertilizer costs split, or 1/4 going to the owner and fertilizer covered by the renter. Owner covers taxes and any loan interest. Each insures their share.

It's still pretty common here, too much variability in crop conditions for cash rent with dryland.

/ Sharecropping question #7  
Like @oldnslo, we used to do 50/50, splitting fertilizer and seed costs and then output, with the renter supplying equipment and labor.

I do think what prevails is the local supply and demand. Illinois farmland is generally very productive and sought after, but if the acreage is small, or hard to farm with large equipment, it might not be worth it to your neighbors. All depends...

Often rent is easier to sort out for both parties. It is generally easier to insure, for one.

All the best,

Peter