Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,563  
Talking to my older brother today, he said our Dad used to tie long lumber to the axles/undercarriage of his truck and drive down the highway with it sticking out in front and rear.
I have known people to do that. With pipe too.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,564  
On what planet doesn't an 8' board fit in an 8' bed.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,565  
On what planet doesn't an 8' board fit in an 8' bed

I drove my VW Golf wagon to the shop to buy 10' lengths of 1/2" threaded rod. The sales person saw my car, and said "usually' people come in a pickup for these...". They slid up neatly into the front passenger footwell, and I closed the backhatch with room to spare. I replied to him, as he helped me slide them in: "these fit completely inside the car, they'd be hanging out the back of an 8' bed in a pickup. He laughed and agreed!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,566  
Talking to my older brother today, he said our Dad used to tie long lumber to the axles/undercarriage of his truck and drive down the highway with it sticking out in front and rear.
Axles? So the lines went slack every time he went over a bump? You'd think the rebound from a bump in the road would create enough force that a strap tied over the body from an axle might create enough tension to crease the bodywork.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,567  
1703267489938.png

1703267519759.png

1703267554556.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,568  
Axles? So the lines went slack every time he went over a bump? You'd think the rebound from a bump in the road would create enough force that a strap tied over the body from an axle might create enough tension to crease the bodywork.
As I understand it nothing was tied over the body of his truck. Tied to tied axles and/or underbody.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,569  
The few old photos I've seen appeared to tie the pipe or lumber to the front and rear bumpers.

Bruce