Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,511  
Page 1848. People speeding up when being over taken.
There are studies that show this is a real effect, not just disgruntled overtakers venting. Slow vehicles really do speed up when they have someone to follow.

The other complaint of speeding up on the passing lanes and slowing down at the end is also a measured effect. The road opens up so they feel safe to speed up, when the lane ends the road narrows so they feel hemmed in and slow down. When they get pulled up about this they deny it as it is all done SUBconsiously. They then act all rightous about the dangerous overtaking oblivious to the fact that THEY are the cause.

There was a european tourist in new zealand who would slow down to 80km on single lane sections and speed up to 110km on the passing lanes. This resulted in a lot of furious truck drivers. The car drivers were also complaining. The police pulled them over and they denied they were obstructive, even with the amount of traffic stacked up behind them.
It turned out they were used to european multi lane motorways. New Zealand roads were a shock to the system.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,512  
I have had many hours to contemplate the reasons for the shift in passing lanes. One is the traffic cops are ALWAYS in the medium strip. Its near impossible for them to radar cars on the right hand side of traffic. So cars form one great big long, left lane line, at precisely the posted speed, barely one car lengh apart. There are also a great number of dedicated exit lanes. That go on for great distances before the exits. These are relatively clear of traffic for most of the day. So the mid-lane, "Weavers," jump into exit lanes, do what passing they can, and then jump back into the mid-lane just before the exit turns off. These weavers don't use indicators aside from a solitary blink. And so often, these lane changes mean nothing overall, as I see that they end up near exactly where I am, having stayed in the far left lane, down the road, 50 miles later. :)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,513  
Until you are confined to a wheelchair and can't get around the hitch hanging over the sidewalk.
Again; if you are 7 inches from my truck you are too close.

Especially in a wheelchair.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,514  
Sure, passing on the right because people won't get out of the left. It's a ticketable offense in NH now.
Maybe they should enforce the "Keep right except to pass" law instead.

I believe that it was Moss who said that in his state if somebody comes up behind you the law is to move over, no matter how fast you are travelling. I think about this every time that I'm on the interstate. I probably would step on the gas instead... which is what I normally do until I find a hole to pull into.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,515  
I’m not going to say it’s “wrong,” but it scares the hell out of me just looking at it.

It’s for sale locally….

Af0UDwE.jpg

ys5r29M.jpg

9X8S55k.jpg

PtOSRzd.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,516  
Is that a fifth wheel pulling the second trailer or a motor home? Jon

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,517  
Is that a fifth wheel pulling the second trailer or a motor home? Jon
Based on the taper on the skirt going up 8m going to guess mororhome. I think I saw mudflaps too, which are uncommon on a trailer.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,518  
I think dad's fifth wheel had a full width mud flap because he pulled his boat behind it. But that unit looks closer to the ground. Jon

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,519  
Looks fine - except if it's a long haul on bumpy roads there's a chance that the 4x4's could migrate; if one goes sideways 8" or so it could drop down and suddenly not only is the 4x4 loose but the culvert is unsecured. For the likely distance though I'd do it the same way; for longer distances I'd lash the 4x's to the side rails separately.

Did it make any interesting sounds driving along?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,520  
Never figured this out, but if you are driving between Seattle and Tacoma in Washington State the rules are reversed. The fast lane is the Right lane and the slow lane is the Left lane. It is the only place in the US, I've ever seen this as a common convention. Every time I get past Olympia, I have to remind myself that the driving rules are going to get flipped.
I have driven that many times and never heard that. Is there a sign on the road saying that? I know south of Tacoma where the right side exists are to Joint Base Lewis-McChord I stay out of the those lanes in the morning heading south since all the "fighter plots" are gunning for the exits as they "are late to work".