Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,091  
Chalk your tires? Do you write something on them, just make a white line? Sorry, I knew what you meant, autocorrect probably helped you.

If it was 4 wheel drive put in that. In his case, maybe drive forward quickly?
That's so you know how far they've gone around. At least that's what i was thinking. Yes the chocking tires seems like a good idea. :ROFLMAO:

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,092  
How does one get potatoes to the factory?
I assume potatoes are delivered by the supplier rather than fetched from all over using the Pepsico warehouse fleet.

I think these battery semis bought by Pepsi-FritoLay, will be seen mostly at the loading door of supermarkets. Or double parked in front sometimes. Making the deliveries. Mostly short haul. Maybe not moving for a signficant percentage of each day. This is different from OTR trucking.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,093  
I have to agree they will show up and be most useful in the stop and go delivery situation for the foreseeable future. Long haul OTR, IMHO, is going to require the development of better battery technology. But they could be closer to it than I think or know.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,094  
I assume potatoes are delivered by the supplier rather than fetched from all over using the Pepsico warehouse fleet.
Many large buyers haul their own supplies. Believe they have better control over receiving this way.

I think these battery semis bought by Pepsi-FritoLay, will be seen mostly at the loading door of supermarkets. Or double parked in front sometimes. Making the deliveries. Mostly short haul. Maybe not moving for a signficant percentage of each day. This is different from OTR trucking.
Local Frito-Lay maintains a fleet of Gruman-style panel vans for deliveries. Each is driven by a semi-independent employee who "owns" (even pays for) his route. Not sure of the terms but the driver is commissioned too. Grocery store shelves are usually restocked by the potato chip driver. Same for bread, shelves stocked by the bakery driver. And sodas.

No doubt larger trucks are used to distribute to Walmarts and other distribution centers.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,095  
There must be quite a story behind this one. Looks like a roll off dumpster.

Eastbound I-94 closes when semi-truck hits overpass near Ann Arbor
This dummy screwed up traffic all over town for a couple days now. Gonna be at least a few more, sounds like. My elderly parents live right down this road and accessed most of their shopping by crossing this bridge. The detour isn't awful, but with the extra traffic its inconvenient.

I don't think there's a whole lot of story to it. Just accidentally left the PTO/switch on to raise the dump.

But from 60 mph to zero in ten feet! Ouch, man.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,096  
I have to agree they will show up and be most useful in the stop and go delivery situation for the foreseeable future. Long haul OTR, IMHO, is going to require the development of better battery technology. But they could be closer to it than I think or know.

There is a fairly simple scenario for long haul Tesla semi implementation. With enough trucks on the road, you build out an infrastructure with Truck Super Charging stations every 100 miles or so on the interstates. We have 50,000 miles of interstate in the US so that's about 500 charging stations. I don't know how long the 500 mile range truck will take to charge, but the cars charge in 1/2 hour.

With two drivers, DOT limited to 10 hours per day, you have 4 hours per day for charging stops. The logistics work. Now, I'm not completely sold on electric vehicles and there are issues like the massive upgrade to the electricity supply network required, Tesla is not limiting itself to local applications. If you add in autonomous driving, where a lead truck has a driver and then there is a "train" of trucks without drivers, you get very cost effective.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,097  
Sorry if I'm derailing the thread.
Not derailing! Imagining alternate scenarios is how progress, progresses.

Anybody else here read Azimov as a kid? Musk said this is what triggered his imagination about what the future could evolve into.

So he set out to make it happen.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,098  
I didn’t think they charged in a half hour. I’ve read on cars an hour might get you to 80%.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,099  
I am surprised Frito Lay's didn't learn from the electric straight trucks. At less than a year old they sent them to Ritchey Brothers. I saw them sit there for over 2 years. Then I saw them taking the boxes and lift gates off. I asked one of the guys what was going on. He said they couldn't sell them so they were going to sell the boxes and lift gates separately and scrap the trucks. And it was costing Frito Lay a fortune to scrap the trucks because of the battery. I guess they didn't learn anything.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,100  
I am surprised Frito Lay's didn't learn from the electric straight trucks. At less than a year old they sent them to Ritchey Brothers. I saw them sit there for over 2 years. Then I saw them taking the boxes and lift gates off. I asked one of the guys what was going on. He said they couldn't sell them so they were going to sell the boxes and lift gates separately and scrap the trucks. And it was costing Frito Lay a fortune to scrap the trucks because of the battery. I guess they didn't learn anything.
What was the deal about the battery?