Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,011  
Personally I think there should be "required" training or testing before anyone is allowed on the road with a trailer.
Agree or disagree, this is my opinion your entitled to yours.

My European perspective:

Here in Europe we have a rule that the total combination of tow vehicle and trailer may not exceed 3500kg (roughly 7500 pounds) AND the trailer weight may not exceed the tow vehicles weight. Beyond that and you need a trailer license.

And still, you see horse girls struggling to back up a small horse trailer behind a Mondeo and you wonder how they have ever gotten their trailer license. (Mind you, automobile manufacturers in Europe allow fairly decent tow ratings behind passenger vehicles, they dont want to push people towards pickup trucks which due to market protection through the chicken tax, represents a higher profit margin than passenger vehicles. My V70 is rated 1800kg or 4000 pounds, though more often i tow 8k)

Vans are allowed 3500kg too which is dumb: Too many self employed couriers trashing around in a Sprinter 2500 size on twin leaf springs, while they load to 3500 (5 ton) triple leaf loads.

It would be safer to allow these hot shots to drive 5 ton so they can buy the vehicle that will safely handle their loads in suspension and brakes.

So, to make American roads safer, you guys could use the same rule as here: Trailer GVW may not exceed truck GVW without a trailer license. And to make European roads safer, we need to get these high school dropout hotshots out of their 3.5 ton vehicles, into the very same physical size of van, yet with the technical capacity that meets the actual loads they carry (illegally) anyways.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,012  
I often wonder why some folks don't practice backing a trailer on there free time in a desolate non spectator areas when I worked at boat yards and owned an overly obnoxious prop walking full keeled sailboat I always told folks who appeared to be masters at backing trailers and docking boats by "brail" to practice on there own with no spectators. I was fortunate growing up I had some veteran trailer knowledgeable, load securing folks in my life that would take the time to show me stuff you can't read about and think that makes you a expert imho.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,013  
I'm torn on the CDL question. I've towed boats, utility & equipment trailers most of my life. My current rig if ever loaded to capacity with a gooseneck would definitely put me into CDL territory weight wise, but I don't haul for commercial purposes anymore. I did as a kid of 16 in the 70's, I ran a wrecker out of the gas station I worked at (when I wasn't fixing cars) & maybe since we towed for the local cops, no one ever questioned me doing it with a regular class c. Boss would call me at night & was like ... "hey, I'm about to get lucky with the Mrs., but cops just called about a drunk wrapped around a phone pole at Broadview & 81. Can you run over to the station, get the wrecker, & do the tow so we don't lose our contract to Filthy Phil?" (Phil owned the Shell station across the street from us.) Off I'd go.

My view is more along the lines of so long as I have the insurance to cover damages caused by me, I should be able to run as much or as big as my vehicle/comfort level will permit. Yes I get that commercial Insurance is more expensive, but I carry it anyway since I consult with State & local governments who treat any rental car driven by a contractor the same as if it was a Semi hauling girders or cranes to a construction site on their property. The main downside to getting a Class A (as I see it) is paying (3-5k?) for Truck Driver School "training" & job placement services I won't use, then finding a big rig to take the test in. Annual Medical cert? ... meh, PITA but I'd put up with it & frankly would think that older drivers should be required to do that at "some age" anyway.

By the same token, I would think that after a certain number of "at fault" accidents, dui's, etc. ANYONE ... Regardless of Class should lose their license for 5 years (longer if it involves a death or serious injury) & be required to pass basic safety training before permitted to re-apply. Driving Time (and speed) should be left up to the driver with the same caveats. I've seen more "Stupid 4 Wheeler" moves than "Stupid Big Rig" moves, but the quality of Big Rig drivers also ain't what it was -- despite the additional "Schooling".

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,014  
I'm curious, if older folks can remember years ago if pull-thru campsites were always marketed highlights on campground brochures, and websites? When I was a kid and went camping didn't seem like that was an overly important thing.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,015  
As I remember, "Clean showers", picnic tables/grills & convenience store/maybe restaurant were the draws.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,016  
As I remember, "Clean showers", picnic tables/grills & convenience store/maybe restaurant were the draws.
These days it's pull-thru campsites in my experiences. Lol

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,017  
The RV lobby must spend a huge amount of money in 're-election campaigns'. No way should Gramps be driving a Greyhound size, and weight, weekend home without additional license (and health) testing.

A elderly distant relative met a similar RV nearly head on, each driver got crushed, other guy died, relative lost his legs and died several weeks later. He should haven't been driving anything bigger than a medium-size SUV if that.

And a guy near my orchard - age 84, had a CDL since he was a kid - fell asleep from fatigue driving a 3-axle farm flatbed and smeared an oncoming pickup into a guardrail. No injuries but the pickup was totaled.

Each of them, simply exercising their rights, and their insurance.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,018  
I'm curious, if older folks can remember years ago if pull-thru campsites were always marketed highlights on campground brochures, and websites? When I was a kid and went camping didn't seem like that was an overly important thing.
The campers themselves were considerably smaller. Very few people pulled a 32 foot gooseneck with slide outs, and you never heard of a truck breaking in two because the slide-in was too heavy.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,019  
OK, Add "Comon Sense" to my post above. Driving Privileges aren't Rights -- maybe necessities to most of us, but kids today don't seem to think so as they are waiting longer & longer to get a license, whereas I'm betting most folks on here had their license as close to their 16th birthday as they could arrange & most were driving well before that anyway.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,020  
The campers themselves were considerably smaller. Very few people pulled a 32 foot gooseneck with slide outs, and you never heard of a truck breaking in two because the slide-in was too heavy.
I think there lyes part of the problem, why or how could you safely, comfortably drive these gigantic "glampers" if you aren't comfortable/competent backing It up, maybe if you had some training or certifications? Imho.