Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,411  
Creek crossing story - in 1941 Mom was a social worker responsible for follow-up of patients discharged from the county hospital in Eureka (on California's north coast). Inland from there is remote wild steep logging country. She said a colleague had to drive someone back to the Reservation. His home was up some canyon several hours in on dirt roads. Lady got stuck in a creek crossing somewhere up toward Weitchpec. Mom said they had county cars like '40 ford coupe that would spin the tires where most other cars could go, too much hp, no weight over the drive wheels, and geared too tall to pick your way gingerly over slippery rocks. Finally some locals came along and helped push the car out of the creek. Then asked "Didn't you know to lay down that chicken wire that's on the bank before driving across?" :oops:
Ha ha, their version of common sense right there. :unsure: :)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,412  
Ha ha, their version of common sense right there. :unsure: :)
Guy who suggested I buy my first Willys Wagon told me before there was a bridge across the Feather River, where we go in to our mining claim, the crossing there was a ford used by logging trucks. But he had to take off his fan belt to take his Willys Wagon across there to avoid splashing his ignition. He must have had water up to his seat cushions.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,413  
Great times. Drinking & driving resulted in road rash, not life altering injury or death. So culture was skewed in interesting ways.
I fell off the bike 6 months ago after taking off in pouring rain, i bent over and steered with my elbows to avoid the cold rain being blown into my forehead. I thought this was not the best position to make a turn, but when handing over to my hands, the handlebars jackknifed and i ducked to the ground whilst my right hand followed the steering wheel to the left. Together with alcohol slowing down my reflexes, i had no time to react, bumped the right side of my forehead, cracked my skull, had a hemorrage. The cold rain cooled my body temperature down to 35 degrees Celsius, which most probably saved me from permanent damage by reducing the swell and brain activity.
I still work only half days.

So, life altering injury: probably not, but it cant be ruled out yet. Death: It could have, if it happened along the main road instead at the farmyard where i heard a crowd yell "oooohh" before passing out.

Off course it can happen to anyone as there is a guy in the revalidation clinic in a wheel chair with a neck brace who was an active ATB cyclist untill he fell off on a forest dirt track, but sometimes the alcohol slowing down your reflexes can make the difference between a rash and a crash...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,414  
Plastic tank? Wonder what the weight on the rear axle is since it appears its all well behind the axle.
Hi,
steel tank. Didn't weight much, perhaps 60kg/ 140lb. It was behind the axle, but it drove alright, not too light in the front end.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,415  
IMG_7324.JPG

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,416  
Two straps and not over length, all is well !

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,417  
Creek crossing

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,419  
Is that a Corvair with a mid engine?