Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,941  
Didn't have the presence of mind to take a picture, but...

Driving past the Orange Big Box Store, raggedy Chevy S10-sized truck pulls out with 15 or so sheets of plywood in the back. Front of plywood up on wheel wells, back laying on open tailgate so the whole load is slanted to the rear at about a 15 degree angle. Nothing tying it down, not so much as a piece of twine. Oh, and one of those REALLY slick plastic bed liners to lubricate things.

Barely got my mouth open to say to the wife "That's an accident waiting to happen" when about 2/3rds of the load slides out and onto the street in front of me. Had just started out from the traffic light so plenty of time to stop.

Put the 4-ways on and got out to help reload the plywood. Boy Genius and his helper (both wearing safety vests and hard hats) were just going to load it right back the way it was. I mentioned that it might be better if the put the tailgate up and reloaded so the plywood was tilted towards the cab rather than out the back.

Pretty apparent that that was a completely novel idea to them...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,942  
I used to do something like that. However it was only 8ft drywall, leaned over the rollover bar on a 81 Jeep Scrambler. Set 4 8ft 2 x 4's on the roll bar and inside the tailgate. Then slid the drywal up and in. Only had about 2 ft above the cab of the Jeep. Tied securely to the roll bar. Only on surface streets from the old time box store. Jon
Height wise you could stand up 8' material, possibly 10' on any pickup & still be fine height wise (13' 6" to 14'). Securing it that way would be a different story, especially with drywall. It looks like that guy has 20' lumber. I lack the motivation to try & do the math on the angles & figure how over height that is.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,943  
Someone mentioned the McDonald’s drive through. I wonder how tall the door is in the building.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,944  
Height wise you could stand up 8' material, possibly 10' on any pickup & still be fine height wise (13' 6" to 14'). Securing it that way would be a different story, especially with drywall. It looks like that guy has 20' lumber. I lack the motivation to try & do the math on the angles & figure how over height that is.

I had tied or strapped it to the roll bar and also had a strap at the upper end of the drywall and 2 x 4's to keep them from peeling apart. Jon

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,945  
I have the remains of a pickup mounted, flip-up, sign/arrow board that someone tried to go through a drive through with. But nothing makes me chuckle more than a vehicle with high dollar bicycles going into a parking garage. Those will be two bikes that won't be taking up space on the highway.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,948  
OMG! The FREE STRING, will let go!

And if, he happened to rear end someone, it would look much like a WW II Soviet rocket launcher.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,949  
Maybe they used Flex Tape......yee hah!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #10,950  
IMG_0639.JPG

Mixer riding at a angle in the trailor with ONE small light duty tie down strap. Strap just ran through the mixer frame down low. No down pressure or anything to stop it moving back and forth on the trailor. Highway speeds and its moving around on the trailor.. Of course from the looks of the trailor a person might suspect a history of such actions.