Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,031  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,032  
IMG_0058.JPGIMG_0059.JPG

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,033  
I love it! I haven't seen a car -> pickup truck 'conversion' in a long time.

When I was in high school and already had an adequate car ('49 chev) I found a unique pickup for sale, that hadn't had plates renewed for several years. I don't remember if it was $50 or $100. I inquired, learned was it was a 1930 Chrysler Imperial
CHRYSLER_Imperial-1931_main.jpg_tmb.jpg

with the bodywork shortened to fit an old Dodge pickup bed. This picture is similar but mine had the nicely rounded back of the cab that had originally been the back of the sedan. I bought it, got it running, drove it home.
1930dodge-pickup4.jpg

It broke my heart when Mom said "you have to sell that, we don't have room for more cars here!"

Just like she had said for my '36 Ford coupe, a previous $50 find.
1936-ford-original-3-window-coupe-barn-find-scta-bonneville-1.jpg

And the $50 1936 Chevrolet sedan.
1936_Chevrolet_Master_De_Luxe_Sport_Sedan.jpg

Ok, that was my junior year in HS. Then I traded the '49 Chev for a '37 Chev Coupe and a separate 265 (first Small Block V8), assembled that, and terrified the neighborhood with it in my senior year.

420px-1937_Chevrolet_Master_Coupe_NWR786.jpg

(All stock photos, I was too car-poor to afford photography at the time).

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,035  
I love it! I haven't seen a car -> pickup truck 'conversion' in a long time.
Photos deleted for brevity....
(All stock photos, I was too car-poor to afford photography at the time).

Hey Mr. Cali,

Can I risk assuming that you noticed that it is a car to pickup truck conversion- at least not a permanent one, and were being tongue-in-cheek as an intro into your bought cheap and don't have now reminiscence??

I have seen some similar conversions, and at least a few were really well done, but this one has the trunk lid still apparently attached, although pretty well held vertical by the IBC pallet.

Those were some awesome road warriors you once owned, and one can only imagine what they would could cost now, and doubt that any of today's cars will be similarly revered.

I fully remember riding in my older brother's '30 Merc "Cruiser"- he was 16 years older than I, and I must've been 4 or 5 years old- because we moved away just before I turned 6- leaving him living in our old home.
ddn-oldschool.jpg It was the color of the lefthand car, but a convertible like the right hand one. Mercury convertible 1939.jpg

He sold it when he needed something more practical as kidlets came along...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,036  
Hey Mr. Cali,

Can I risk assuming that you noticed that it is a car to pickup truck conversion- at least not a permanent one, and were being tongue-in-cheek as an intro into your bought cheap and don't have now reminiscence??

I fully remember riding in my older brother's '30 Merc "Cruiser"- he was 16 years older than I, and I must've been 4 or 5 years old..

It was the color of the lefthand car, but a convertible like the right hand one.

He sold it when he needed something more practical as kidlets came along...
Yes the IBC Tote looks temporary, perched in that huge trunk. I sort of meant to assert they did it better in the old days, tongue-in-cheek as you noted.

That, plus the topic reminded me of the injustice of me at age 16 having to give up cars that were perfectly obvious to me to become timeless classics of American design.

Years later, 1973, I saw a '36 Ford like I had. It was restored (couldn't have cost over $10~15k to do, they were extremely simple) and it had a $36k price tag on it. If only...

Those '50 Mercurys were one of the fastest cars of their day. A convertible, and if he had it cleaned up into a cruiser, that was a classic rod! :thumbsup:

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,037  
Yes the IBC Tote looks temporary, perched in that huge trunk. I sort of meant to assert they did it better in the old days, tongue-in-cheek as you noted.

That, plus the topic reminded me of the injustice of me at age 16 having to give up cars that were perfectly obvious to me to become timeless classics of American design.

Years later, 1973, I saw a '36 Ford like I had. It was restored (couldn't have cost over $10~15k to do, they were extremely simple) and it had a $36k price tag on it. If only...

Those '50 Mercurys were one of the fastest cars of their day. A convertible, and if he had it cleaned up into a cruiser, that was a classic rod! :thumbsup:

Have you checked what a good paint job cost?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,038  
Have you checked what a good paint job cost?
Dunno, what would you estimate? The '36 Ford was extremely simple. A frame-off restoration assuming no dents and zero rust (a California car) would be easier than say an early Jeep. It even had mechanical brakes. (rod linkages, no hydraulics, for the kids on here :)). Nothing like disassembling a modern car.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,039  
Thousands plus any body work. What kind of work was done to the rest of the car.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #7,040  
Thousands plus any body work. What kind of work was done to the rest of the car.
Don't know. The $36k '36 Ford coupe - flaming red - was simply the most expensive car on a used car lot in Victoria BC. it looked flawless from walking by but the degree of restoration was unknown.