Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,811  
Don't see any on my Magnum or Intrepid. I'll have to check my kids Nissan and Ford.
I specifically remember eyebolts used on 1st gen newly reintroduced mini coopers I think they came with two for front and back bumpers, a lot of BMWs and other European and Asian imports.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,812  
Our BMWs always had the eye bolt in the trunk for use front/back since the 90s or earlier.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,813  
Trailer or no, if that was enough weight so far back to bend the frame, the handling must have been so squirrely he could barely keep it on the road. I'll bet it didn't corner very well. I'm surprised the tow truck isn't there for a rollover.

frame-bend-jpeg.783935

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,814  
And recovery methods change as vehicles evolve.
Some newer ones are just down right fragile.
This was many years ago, but for me, the worst one I ever towed was a Lotus Esprit. Just nothing to the car at all. I ended up using J hooks on the lower A arms front and back. But it was like winching up an egg shell that someone had already pulled the yolk out of. Nervous wreck the whole time.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,815  
This would prevent those frames from bending back over because it solves the vertical weight distribution, but it doesnt solve the horizontal weight distribution, so it is likely to oversteer.

Why do people keep inventing such bullshit ??

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,816  
This would prevent those frames from bending back over because it solves the vertical weight distribution, but it doesnt solve the horizontal weight distribution, so it is likely to oversteer.

Why do people keep inventing such bullshit ??

It looks like it works on the same principle as super solo dump truck booster. With the air bag inflated, it should put some weight back on the front axle and minimize oversteer with the truck's drive axle being the fulcrum. For the money, a good tandem axle trailer will allow one to haul a lot more weight. The difference being a tandem axle trailer is going to take a lot more storage room, which may be forbidden by an HOA.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,817  
I have to add my photo from today. Back story first. We have a 2000 Honda Acord, 320.000 miles. It is our spare car incase someone needs one. I haven driven it in over a month so I decided to use it to go to church last night. I meet my wife and daughter there so we end up driving 2 cars home after service. We have been talking about selling it or just scraping it? ( It runs great we just don't use it any more)
Coming home we were about 2 miles from the house and BOOM, I thought the front left tire blew out. No the lower ball joint snaped in half and we slid over 100' till the car came to a stop. Our daughter was about ten minuets behind us in our new car we just paid off. Well my wife gets out a said scrap it! I called my sons up to have them come help me get it off the road. I drove home and got my truck and meet the boys at the car. I used my rear bumper to push it back to an old logging road and then my son used his truck with chain to drag it on to the logging road to clear the road.
I tried to borrow a car dolley but the owner could not find it? So we ended up taking my new Kubota L2501 with loader and scraper blade to bring it home. I pushed the car to a flat spot on the log road and lifted the front end off the ground and placed 2 8" x 8" blocks under the frame. Then I put the scraper blade tight to the bumper and we used 2 tie down straps from the a arm over the blade to the frame of the tractor. Tied the tire up with a strap over the hood and lifted the blade. I had to back it up to get the blocks out but I brought it home behind the tractor. Tomorrow I have to empty the 3/4 full gas tank.
Also it was 25* when I shuffled in the house.

Attachments

• honda tow.jpg
    honda tow.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 174
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,818  
I think I would put that one in the Larry the Cable Guy, Get er' Done file. A little ingenuity and family go a long ways. (y)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,820  
That Accord got a lot farther than our late-80's Ford Taurus Wagon. At 140k miles, wife backed out of the driveway and it snapped the right tierod beyond the adjuster. The front wheels splayed out but wife was able to park it at the curb. Months later my cousin's Taurus did the same thing at freeway speed. He said he didn't know how he could have stressed it. He got it safely over to the shoulder, a little spooked.

At the time, I occasionally dealt with FHWA (Fed Highway Admin) project funding folks, so I asked them to put my broken tierod into their interoffice mail, addressed to the highway safety branch. I thought this physical evidence might help support a recall campaign. Nope.

Cars last longer now.