Shallow Well Pumps

/ Shallow Well Pumps #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I have a shallow well I use for general watering. It's only about 15 feet deep and all the lines run downhill. I've been using a standard above ground 110v pump, but that requires periodic priming. Thinking of going to a submersible pump. Needs to fit a Std. 4" diameter shallow well pipe and run on 110V. Does anyone have expeience with these pumps? Recommendations?
rScotty

/ Shallow Well Pumps #2  
I have a shallow well I use for general watering. It's only about 15 feet deep and all the lines run downhill. I've been using a standard above ground 110v pump, but that requires periodic priming. Thinking of going to a submersible pump. Needs to fit a Std. 4" diameter shallow well pipe and run on 110V. Does anyone have expeience with these pumps? Recommendations?
rScotty

Shouldn't require priming every time if you use a check valve.

/ Shallow Well Pumps #4  
A submersible will pump more water than your shallow well pump. Just make sure what ever you get, doesn't pump more water, than your well makes in gallons per minute. And, most definitely put a lightning arrester on it..!!

/ Shallow Well Pumps #5  
Submersible pumps generally have a check valve built into them. I'm guessing your shallow well is more than a 4" bore. A 1/2 hp pump will be plenty if you've been using a jet pump. One paradox of submersible pump buying is that the more gallons per minute the pump is rated, the cheaper the pump is for a given horsepower rating. That's because the fewer stages the pump has, the faster it pumps. But the high gpm pump won't pump up to as high a pressure as the many stage/low gpm pump will. In your case, even a 20 gpm 1/2 hp pump with only 15' of head will achieve a higher pressure than a shallow well jet pump, you should get the highest gpm 1/2 hp pump your vendor has and it will save money, too.

/ Shallow Well Pumps #6  
I had a similar problem with our water supply. I just ran a 1 1/2" pipe with 2 check valves on the bottom of it, no check valves at surface & the pipe is pressurized.
I havent had to prime my pump in 18 months.

/ Shallow Well Pumps
I had a similar problem with our water supply. I just ran a 1 1/2" pipe with 2 check valves on the bottom of it, no check valves at surface & the pipe is pressurized.
I havent had to prime my pump in 18 months.

a subersible shouldn't need priming ever. It us pushing water, not pulling. But a check valve will prevent it having to fill the pipe length each time you call for water. Quicker response and less water hammer.
rScotty

/ Shallow Well Pumps #8  
I use a deep well pump. Laid horizontal in my spring house. Pumps water 1/2 mile up to cistern 280’ elevation. 1hp, 14 stage, 240V, pump inside 4” PVC sand sleeve. Back pressure feeds feeds barns, water hydrants at blueberry patch and two cabins. Separate pump at cistern supplies another house. These pumps are quite durable. Hot water heater timer pumps 45 minutes, 400 gallons fresh water per day. Use bladder pressure tank and pressure regulators to decrease water hammer effects.

Have tried shallow well jet pumps in the past for the cabins but proved to be less reliable and more maintenance. Have to protect and heat for cold weather use. 120v pumps available and should work if you don’t pump past your well flow.

Spring house was the refrigerator before electricity and we still carry water in buckets when the water system is rarely down.