Dealer Service after buying from distant dealer

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #21  
I'd buy that idea, Mark.

Bird

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #22  
Bird - Your comment about the law reminds me of something else. I once got a telephone call polling opinions on a proposed law that would ban the use of cell phones while driving. Turns out he was from the office of one of the bill's sponsors and was trying to accumulate statistical info that would indicate a large percentage of the people favored it. I told the guy that I was for anything that would promote safety, as long as it was fair. He asked me what I meant, and I said that I thought it was a good idea, but unless they included a few more groups, the law would be discriminatory and crippled in its implementation. He asked for further clarification, so I said, well, if it's really safety that is the concern here, you also need to ban smoking while driving and lone adults driving in vehicles with anyone under the age of, say, 5 years old. He said "You've got to be kidding! You can't pass a law like that!" I said "But I thought you said the sole purpose of the bill was to promote safety." And he made some comment that indicated he thought that was irrelevant. I said "Do you smoke?" and he replied "Yes." So I said "Do you have children? and he again said "Yes." Now for the punch line "Well, I'm not saying they should be outlawed, but you were the one who said that safety is more important than certain individual's convenience. I've seen more near accidents from each of those two categories of drivers than I have from cell phone users. Are you saying that unsafe practices are fine if outlawing them would be inconvenient for you? Is it just that cell phones should be outlawed because you wouldn't be inconvenienced?" He terminated the conversation shortly after that. I doubt my comments showed up in his polling results.

Funny thing is that he got so upset because he felt I was attacking things near and dear to him that he was sure I had to be a complete lunatic - I don't think he ever figured out that I wasn't suggesting banning all those activities, but merely making a point: "Where and when does it stop?" Politicians...

Mark

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #23  
Yeah, Mark, what was the old saying years ago? It's OK so long as it isn't my ox getting gored? I know a lot of laws are necessary; I'd say maybe 10 to 20% of them. I tried to enforce'em all the best I could, whether I agreed with'em or not, but my personal opinion is that we're over-regulated and have too many laws, some of which are just plain silly. Oops, I better stay off that soapbox./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #24  
One way of summing up how I feel is "Don't legislate - educate!"

Mark

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #25  
Bird,

I always wondered if the tank dams were steep enough to turn one over. Just as I convince myself that it wouldn't happen, you have to come up with a story like that! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #26  
Re: Seatbelt

JimBinMI,

YES YES YES. Now go stand in the corner. You don't wear your seatbelts all the time?

If you are brush hogging and happen to run a tire over a stump or over an obsticle that you left out before the weeds grow, you could turn the tractor over on flat ground just as quick as on slopes. Frozen ground (with the tractor tire froze to the ground) is another death trap. Gun the engine and then you are looking backwards upside down through the rops if you had your seat belt on.

Otherwise your widow has the painful job of finding another tractor operator. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #27  

This thread may give me motivation. My tractor came without a seatbelt. I ordered one, and it has been in the 1/2 ton bed for about a month.

Well, it didn't exactly come as a package: Just the belt, no mounting hardware or instructions. Guess I have to figure out if it's better to drill holes in the fenders or find some bolts in the right spot somewhere on the axle case. Appreciate it if somebody tells me how these things generally mount.

Some motivation. I called the dealer Friday to ask about 3ph lift capacity and forgot to ask about seatbelt mounts. I suppose knowing the 3ph capacity wouldn't do me much good if I really need the seatbelt. Guess I better get motivated.

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #28  
That's the right idea, Mark!

Bird

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #29  

TomG, does your tractor have a ROPS? You really don't want a seat belt without also having some kind of roll bar.

Bird

/ Service after buying from distant dealer #30  

Wen,

Read carefully, MOWING with a finish mower, on a lawn I've mowed for 10 yrs!

I don't own a rotary cutter, yet, when I get one I would certainly use the belt! As I posted somewhere else, one purpose of the ROPS is to fold down to get under low branches when mowing, right? If the rops are down, wouldn't it be dangerous to be in the seat belted up?

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!