Septic Tank

/ Septic Tank
<font color=blue>Ewwwwwww, I don't want to go there.</font color=blue>
You're right this is getting way outa hand. Who started this post any way?

/ Septic Tank #43  
<font color=blue>Overall, when I installed 18 inch culvert pipes, I needed 24 inches of soil above the culvert to protect it from fully loaded cement trucks. With that information, I think 18 inches would be plenty to protect the lid from the weight of your equipment. </font color=blue>

Since the culvert pipes are basically an arch, they inherently have a great deal of strength. As long as you don't concentrate a lot of load in one place and buckle the arch, they'll stand up to a lot. Burying it 24 inches deep definitely distributes any load from above pretty well.

On a flat septic lid, you don't have the strength of the "arch". It's conceivable that at 18" deep a compact tractor could crack it... especially depending on the soil conditions and the size of the opening spanned by the flat plate.

/ Septic Tank #44  
BMW
I found the Univerisity of Texas website on septic tanks to be very useful. Here is the link to the care and feed of your septic tank <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5240/machmeier/Machmeier_Care_n_Feed.html>http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5240/machmeier/Machmeier_Care_n_Feed.html</A>. Hope this helps.

Randy

/ Septic Tank
Thanks, it looks like some good information. I'll have to save that link.

Later
Mark

/ Septic Tank #46  
i don't think your tractor broke the top, if u had that much dirt on it, the weight would not have been enough. great pictures tho, and a great fix. i just had a new tank and leach bed done this fall. tore up the whole side yard and down into the woods for drainage line, so this spring i have a whole bunch of work to do re-grading and planting grass. want to help/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Septic Tank #47  
bird: that sure is different form what we use up here for a tank, mine is prefabed concret, with 2 access lids, just had it installed this fall along with new leach bed, the old bed gave up, only 52 years old./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif as for digital camers, mine(olympus) with a 8 mb card will take only 1 pic set at tiff, and 8 in SHQ (64mb card has not come yet) SHQ should be jpeg but at higher res. so the files will be much larger.i usually shoot at SETTING OF HQ OR SHQ, in case i wnat to print, and resize if i want to e mail or print. confuses the heck out of this old man also/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Septic Tank #48  
Frank, that first tank IS a prefab concrete 500 gallon tank with 2 access lids (one over the intake plumbing and one over the outlet plumbing), but I only have the riser and quick and easy access to the first one. And my camera is an Olympus D-460Zoom and in the HQ setting shows to take 36 pictures on the 8 mb card (I've never actually taken more than 20) and 17 pictures on the SHQ setting (and I've never taken more than 4). I also have a second 8 mb card and a 16 mb card, but have never used them yet. I have been using the HQ setting, but think from now on I'll just leave it on the SHQ.

/ Septic Tank #49  
BIRD : OUR CAMERAS are basicaly the same , mine is the d-510 , just a newer version of the 460 with a few added features. the 64 mb card came as a rebate, have not received it yet, but can not imajine needing more than that. i too leave it set in SHQ MOST OF THE TIME.

/ Septic Tank #50  
<font color=blue>Plus another thing that will plug up a septic system quicker than anything, is to dump your clothes washer water into the system without first filtering out the lint. The Rayons, Nylons, and other synthetic fibers will not break down in the tank, and will flow out into the leach field and plug things up.</font color=blue>

This sounds like a good idea... Altho, I've never seen it done. Anyone have a solution that won't back up the waste on the washer?