Septic Systems

/ Septic Systems #1  

buckeye

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-40
I have been asking this forum several items regarding new house construction. I really appreciate all of the help on other items. Now I have another subject........................

Where we will be building there is no public sewer system. Even if there was for that matter, our new house will be built 900 feet from the nearest road so it wasn't going to be an option regardless.

What has been the group's experience with septic systems. Around here, the septic tank and leach field are still used. Some put in the areator and leach field. I was curious as to what the group thinks about each type. AS always, I am ever greatful for any insights you all may provide.

/ Septic Systems #2  
We built in Franklin county in 1998 and moved from a suburban neighborhood to 5 acres which required a well and septic system. The board of health told us what type of septic system we needed (leech), how big the leech field would be, and where it would be located. Most of the neighbors around us have leech fields but the neighbor next door required a mound system because their soil was different. A properly installed septic system works great. We will have our tank pumped for the 1st time next year. Some systems require an aerator or liftpump-they will work well also but you have pumps to worry about. Our leech field has a diverter box that lets you "rest" one side of the leech field-divert to other 1/2 of field every three months. The only problem we have experienced is when we get torrential downpours and the ground is saturated the water has no place to leech and it backs up the sewer pipe coming out of the house and shuts off the vent pipe so we get a slight sewer odor for maybe 1/2 day. That can be eliminated by installing a checkvalve in the main pipe coming out of the house. When building our house I was naive enough to think it cost more to build in the country because of the $8000 for a well and septic but residential lots have tap fees for both that easily costs more. Glad your home inspection went alright, a lot of worry for nothing.

/ Septic Systems #3  
The reality is you will be told by the health department what type of septic system you are required to install. Unfortunately, most health departments are long on theory, and short on smart. They tend to not know about many of the newer multicompartment tank systems, and won't listen.
The best thing you can do is have your contractor install extra leach lines.
The next best thing you can do is pump the tank every 4 years.
If possible, install a second tank to accept the waste water from the kitchen sink, dishwasher, and laundry. Those sources of waste water will corrupt a septic tank real quick.

/ Septic Systems #4  
Jim, I've posted this link before, but since this clay around here does not perk very well at all, and to avoid the little problems mentioned by others with wet weather, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hydro-action.com> this</A> is what we have. More and more people in our area are going to the aerobic systems. Initial costs are no more than a septic system and we never have to worry about overloading it. The only downside is that you have an air pump that will eventually have to be rebuilt or replaced, and a water well pump for the sprinkler system, and in Texas at least, you're required to maintain a service contract with a licensed installer ($200 a year for us, although I know of one guy who will do it for $125), even though you could very easily do all the maintenance yourself.

/ Septic Systems
Thanks for the link. It sure looks interesting. If filled out the on-linie form to get more information. I hope there are some dealers in Southern Ohio!

/ Septic Systems #6  
State and county law will determine what type of septic system you can build, and where. My experience is with both Erie and Genesee counties in New York. You can't get a building permit for a house without an approved septic disposal plan.

Erie County will go through the motions of running a perk test, tell you that you need a sand filter system, and will design it for you. Your contractor builds it, and the county inspects it, and everybody is happy.

Genesee County will run a perk test, and if you fail you must hire a professional engineer to design a septic system that will meet the county's requirements. I was allowed to build either a classic leach bed system that would have required a huge amount of approved fill, or a dosed sand filter with a siphoned final leach bed. We went with the sand filter system even though it required more components (including a pump) because my excavator explained that it would cost less to build than just the trucking for all the fill required by the other system.

I have a question about aerator systems, though. How do they work in freezing climates?

/ Septic Systems #7  
Sorry, I meant to ask about aerobic systems in freezing climates.

/ Septic Systems #8  
<font color=blue>I have a question about aerator systems, though. How do they work in freezing climates?</font color=blue>

I have no first hand, personal knowledge as to things like how low a temperature they can stand, how deep you would have to put the lines, etc., but I first learned about them when my brother told me about being required to use this kind of system on homes built on an island in a big lake in Alaska, so I would assume properly installed, they can stand some pretty low temperatures. I guess 10 degrees is as cold as it's gotten here since I've had mine.

/ Septic Systems #9  
buckeye,

As suggested in some of the other posts, you really need to talk to your local county to see what their regulations might be. There are a host of issues to consider and you should consult them before proceeding. I know that when we built our house there was a specific leech field that we had to use. This was determined by the perc test. There are also regulations as to how far certain features may be placed such as distance of water supply to the leech field, the contour of the property, distance of house to leech field, trees and other vegatation, etc, etc.... Spend so time with the county folks, it will save you lots of time and effort.

Terry

/ Septic Systems #10  
BuckEye,

Do you know if the land actually percs? Do you have a perc site in mind?

In my part of North Carolina we have very POOR soil for both farming and percing. Many acres simply don't perc at all. Period. No Perc, no house. For instance my neighbor has a perc site that is withing 10 feet of a common lot line. I had a Soil Scientist check our 16 acres that is next to the lot that had a known perc site. In that 16 acres there was not one perc site.... In other words, my neighbor has a place for a septic system, walk 10 feet across the lot line and no septic system. The land is gently sloping from our land into the neighbors with no visible geological features. Finding perc sites can be a pain.

In the past we had many problems with the local Health Deptartment. We knew the land we were about to buy had problems with percing so we hired a Soil Scientist to find perc sites. Well worth the money. Our Soil Scientist has more experience and education than the locals. We had to go to the state to overrule the local inspector since he was flat out wrong. Thankfully, this is changing since the county fired the boob that used to be in charge and hired people who are actual Soil Scientists.

Soooooo, if you area has a reputation for poor soil I would try to get a soil scientist. You pay them so they are on your side. The county can be a great help or a great hinderance. Depends on the person(s) working there. Check out your state's websites and see the septic rules. The state in NC sets the rules and lays them out in a very thick document.

Find out what the county rules are and follow them. Don't expect a speedy process. Our locals are underpaid and overworked at least in this department. Getting a perc test and permits is lengthy because of the shortage of staff...

Hopefully the soil in your area will accept a conventional system.

The system that Bird reference is really nice and I would love to have one. I think they are really the way to go. BUT, here in NC the installers will charge 20,000-30,000 dollars for one of these systems. And I'll be danged if I can see the justification for that price....

If you have not checked in the the county about permits I would encourage you to start ASAP. They should provide some documentation of all the steps you have to perform to START building your house. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Good Luck,
Dan McCarty