septic sense ???

/ septic sense ??? #1  
Tractor
murray
has anybody tried this product?

it's supposed to be a balance of aerobic and non-aerobic bacteria that do a better job of breaking down the solids in the system. They even claim that it can rejuvinate a fouled leach field.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

/ septic sense ??? #2  
Sounds like another scam product to me. I've used a septic system for over 50 years, and had to replace 1 steel tank with concrete and redo the leach field once.
The 2 maintainence items on a septic system are adding a pound of yeast each year, and pumping the tank when necessary. Pumping intervals are determined by the size of the tank and the number of people using it.
My system has a 1000 gallon septic tank, with a 500 gallon "grease Trap" next to it for the kitchen sink and laundry. Running kitchen sink grease into a septic tank will definitely choke off the bacterial action.
Anybody who claims a product will totally liquify solids in any septic tank is flat full of crap. Even when bacteria are functioning properly, they leave behind solids that have to be pumped out. If you don't pump out solids, they will eventually plug your leach tile, and you'll replace the lecah field.

/ septic sense ??? #3  
Have you asked what their aerobic and non-aerobic bateria are? I betcha it is a yeast-based product.

We have purchased from a place in New York (can't remember the product name - might be Crane) and from Lowes/Home depot. They're basically yeast-based products.

Just like Franz suggested, keep fatty solids to a minimum and pump out the tank every few years. If you have a garbage disposal (grinder at the sink), my septic guy suggested pumping every year. Normal use, every three years.

Terry

/ septic sense ??? #4  
Terry, do you reckon that might have been "Septic Helper 2000" from Krane Products (1-800-437-4271) in New York? I've still got some from the 3 year supply I bought./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I guess it's all right, but doubt that it's any better than Rid-X or others you can in the local grocery store.

Bird

/ septic sense ??? #5  
Bird,

Yep - that's the stuff. And I've used Rid-X also. I think that the Krane product may have more bacteria that the Rid-X.

Krane products is an interesting place. They call you just before your supply is supposed to be exhausted. Currently we have a 1,000 year supply of the stuff (based upon our usage!). Well, the last time they called us, the CFO negotiated the price down to 1/2 of the originally stated price. Want to know how to negotiate with these guys. Just keep saying, "No thank you!" and they'll keep on reducing the price. Either you give in and say yes, or they finally accept your no.

As for the recommended usage, we try to remember to put some in every once in awhile. Just to liven things up in the septic tank and to clean up the traps, drains, and pipes for the system. Effective - I guess. We've never had any problems with our system in the 11 year old system. Knock on wood.

As I've stated in some prior posts, we just had our system pumped for the first time and everything looked fine. We're very carefull on what we dump into the drain. Don't use many cleaning chemicals or bleach to foul the system. Hmmm - maybe that's why we don't have many friends. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Terry

/ septic sense ??? #6  
I don't know if it works or not, but if you buy the Krane Products item, be prepared. They are like the IRS. They will never stopp calling you.

/ septic sense ??? #7  
Hmm, that's odd, 3rdbase, I bought once (3 year supply) and then they called once and no more.

The one I'd like to stop from calling me is MCI./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I think I've tried just about everything but suing them for harrassment and informed them that I'll never use them as long as one other long distance service exists in the world, but they still call regularly.

Bird

/ septic sense ??? #8  
Bird,

Here's something you can try.

Interrupt them and plainly say. "I do not want your product and I do not wish to be called by you anymore. Please remove me from your calling list." I believe the laws have changed and they must take the information and remove you. I did that a couple of weeks ago to a credit card company and they said, "Yes, sire! We have 48 hours to get this request done. Please be patient and you will be removed from the list within that time". I'm paraphrasing but this what they said to me in so many words. Try it. You have nothing to lose.

Terry

/ septic sense ??? #9  
I haven't been reading this thread until today, so let me jump in too. When we built the house in '98 we added another 500 gal tank (total 2000 gal) to meet the new county code.

We had been in the house for about a month when "Septic Helper" called us. I politely explained that we had just pumped our tanks and added another and did not see any reason to use their product. The saleswoman got very rude and told me that my in-laws had referred us to her and had all but guarenteed her a sale! I apologized for the misunderstanding and hung up.

Not 5 minutes later the saleswomen's husband called me and started screaming at me for not buying his wife's product after my in-laws promised her that I would! I had a few choice words for him too (there is a reason I'm called Pitbull) and hung up on him. Would you believe he actually called me back to yell some more?

I called the State Attorny General's office and filed a complaint. Never heard from them again. BTW, my inlaws had never heard of or spoken with "Septic Helper" before.

Buy RidX and be done with it.

8-72214-signature.jpg

/ septic sense ??? #10  
I did a fair amount of research on this topic a few years ago and came across a study that proved there was little to no benefit to adding these additives to your septic system. Some of these additives can do more harm than good. Unless you are using tons of bleach and/or detergent - leave things alone. I have 2000 gallon tanks and 4 people in the house and pump every 5 years. Last time the pumper said "you could have waited another few years" Pumping is cheap insurance to prevent a plugged up leach field........

I've heard of people using earth worms to rejuvenate old leach fields, could be another urban myth.