Semi-Synthetic Oils

/ Semi-Synthetic Oils #1  

Turfman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have read the posts on synthetic oils. I see the supposed advantages. I wonder how the synthetic blends compare. Any advantage buying them or am I better off with a fully synthetic or a regular oil?

/ Semi-Synthetic Oils #2  
I think the only reason they make a blend is for people who don't want to spend 4.50+ a qt for full synthetic. Synthetic oils and gear lubes are the best protection you can put in your tractor or vehicle. A conventional oil will do the job, just not as well. I would not purchase a blend-if you want to use a synthetic lubricant pay the extra money and purchase the extra protection. Go to Amsoil's or Mobil 1's web sites and learn about synthetic advantages. In a semi, rearends and trans will usually run 20 degrees cooler with a synthetic gear oil. If you have to tear a synthetic filled component down for some reason, you can't believe how clean the gears are compared to conventional lubes. Semi truck trans and rearends are warranted for 5year/500,000 mile warranty when synthetics are used vs. 2year/200,000 mile with conventional oil. You will see more and more manufacturers with factory fills of synthetic lubes.

/ Semi-Synthetic Oils #4  
From what I have read, the synthetic blends are a rip off. They typically only contain about 10% synthetic components. I either run all synthetic (which is probably overkill but I see it as cheap insurance) or all dead dino juice. If you want to run a blend, mix it yourself and save some money.