Seized Honda GX 390

/ Seized Honda GX 390 #31  
Chrystal ball seems to be foggy. Getting down to ordering a new one or actually opening it up...

/ Seized Honda GX 390
Guys-thank you all for comments. Pulled the front case off. Everything looks good. No parts in bottom of pan. I pulled camshaft, looks new. Tappets dropped down so nothing frozen. When I first got this treasure-remember it was out on road with a "free sign"- guy in neigborhood died and his kids came to clean out house.

In anycase I'm thinking I will prop up on its side and flood piston with Marvel Mystery-and the put a bar on crank nut and try to work it-as some have suggested. the crap on top of piston is like dirt-its loose.

If I get it to turn overfreely then my question is timing-like a dummy I did not make any marks when I pulled cam out

Attachments

• 7EB6E446-A146-4AFB-9F02-44F300B520CE.jpeg
    7EB6E446-A146-4AFB-9F02-44F300B520CE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 121
  • EBBE174B-2CDC-4A20-9325-847B9D59BFF4.jpeg
    EBBE174B-2CDC-4A20-9325-847B9D59BFF4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 121
   / Seized Honda GX 390 #33  
Kroil is waaaaay better than mysteryoil...

SR

/ Seized Honda GX 390 #34  
That's good as the marks are there. That cylinder looks kind of nasty. You are going to have to clean what you can up top , remove the rod cap and push that piston out to clean up the cylinder, rings and piston. If it is dirt, things probably aren't going to go well unless it sat with the plug out for awhile. Maybe rust? Mark if you want, use that smart phone camera as that is your best friend when you are not used to having something apart.

/ Seized Honda GX 390
That's good as the marks are there. That cylinder looks kind of nasty. You are going to have to clean what you can up top , remove the rod cap and push that piston out to clean up the cylinder, rings and piston. If it is dirt, things probably aren't going to go well unless it sat with the plug out for awhile. Maybe rust? Mark if you want, use that smart phone camera as that is your best friend when you are not used to having something apart.
"T"- I used a small wire wheel on top 3/4" of bore and then used a crocus cloth-cleaned up so it would hit TDC-it was "locked' at about a half inch from TDC. I'll take pix in AM. It still would not rotate and I could not see what the obstruction was-took the cover off the fan and it now rotates but I still did not see what the obstruction was. Stay tunned.

Oh-also I took damper out and now I'm having a hell of a time getting it back in while keeping timing marks lined up.

/ Seized Honda GX 390 #36  
Is something binding the flywheel, did you check that out?
If not, take the cover off the PTO side of the engine and find out what is going on inside.
I seriously doubt is is anything to do with the cam, they have a steel cam, not plastic like some of the cheapie engines do.

/ Seized Honda GX 390
Well guys, finally got back to this, got it all back together and before I attached the blower to it I tried to fire it up. Cranked like the compression relief wasn 't working so I pulled valve cover off, and even though this thing hsn't fired since I reset valves (.006 intake, .008 exhaust) they were all screwed up. Got them reset, then after cranking it a few times all of a sudden intake valve is loose and flopping around. I reset it, crank it a few times and same thing.

Before I drain oil and pull front cover, any thoughts?

/ Seized Honda GX 390 #38  
Possible that you are out of time? At what point did you set the lash?

/ Seized Honda GX 390
Possible that you are out of time? At what point did you set the lash?
At TDC as determined by screwdriver resting on piston. Lock the setting in place then crank a few times and bingo, rocker is flopping around?

/ Seized Honda GX 390 #40  
After the intake valve closes