Seeking advice on welding torch

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #1  

CajunRider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45
My situation: Live in a rural area. Have a Lincoln AC/DC 225. Have a 1000 gallon propane tank so my propane supply is practically endless.
My skill level: Novice at best so you can say I'm pretty much a beginner.
My torch need: Mostly heating and cutting. Every now and then I'll need to do some brazing on air conditioning copper pipe/tubing. I do have an air/propane torch for soldering water copper pipe.
Current pressing need: A FEL bucket with rusty bottom that I need to cut out and replace. A flail mower with a frozen pulley that I need to unstuck so I can replace the bearing. The body of the flail mower is also shot and need serious repair. Installation of AC system for my shop so some AC copper pipe brazing is in the plan.

My want: Reliable torch(s) with good performance, reasonable price and warranty to do the things listed above, preferably American made. I also want as few bottles as possible. With intermittent use I don't want to keep a rental bottle and pay for it sitting at my house for months on end.

What would you recommend for me? I've done the homework and reviewed a lot of torches. Instead of posting them here for choices, I'd rather see what you would recommend straight from your experiences.

Thank you.

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #2  
I have Harris stuff, not sure what's made in the US anymore. I just had my stuff rebuilt by these guys about a year ago. If you look at the brands they sell, that's probably a good indication of what is a quality product since they service everything themselves. I see so many used torch and tank sets on craigslist around here, seems like that might be the way to go. Just make sure if you buy used tanks that there's a local place that will refill them for you. Some of the larger companies will only refill what they sell/rent you.

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #3  
Sadly no-one is really making gas apparatus in the USA anymore. Smith and Victor were the last 2 with Purox (ESAB) before that. Harris is Poland. How ever. You will be ok with an Oxy-Fuel setup that's imported. They are pretty empty inside. Torch sets should cost $1000 because they last too long. You can buy a decent torch set for $200 and it will last 15-20 years. It's not right. I had sold Harris and Victor in past lives and they both lasted too long for the price. My advice would be to get a torch set that uses Harris or Victor cutting tips. Only because the Smith tips are so expensive. Not that Smith is a bad set because it's just as good as anything but the cutting tips have the mixer in each tip and it really ads to the cost. You can buy aftermarket cutting and heating tips for 1/3 the cost of OEM and they are every bit as good. In the end, You can buy a $200 set and it very well could out last you. If you will use Propane just get a grade T hose at some point and you can look that up. Good Luck.

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #4  
Victor and Harris are both good torches buy two stage with detachable top so you can add brazing tips rose bud heating tips and make sure you buy tip cleaners and small wire brushes to clean the tips. Protective clothing cutting glasses a hat to keep your hair good boots.

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #5  
I picked up a Miller/Smith setup about a year ago. I don't use it that often but when I do, it sucks the Oxygen down a lot quicker than the propane. I just use a regular bbq propane tank, and I think I've gone through two Oxygen tanks so far and the propane is still well over half full even with it pulling double duty (cooking also).

Amazon.com: Smith Toughcut Propane Welding Cutting Torch Kit Outfit MB54A-51LP: Home Improvement

From what I recall one of the big differences of Oxy/Propane vs Oxy/Acetylene, Oxy/Propane uses a lot more Oxygen. And also I don't think you can weld with Oxy/Propane, won't shield the weld pool or something like that.

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #6  
I have a Victor Journeyman torch I really like, although it's a little pricey. I had a Smith before I didn't like as much, mainly because the handle was too short and my gloves would turn the valves. I don't think you have to rent tanks, you can buy some. Occasionally you can find them for sale from an individual for much less. Propane doesn't burn as hot, but it might not matter. Some iron workers took down an old microwave tower where I work with propane. I've also read you can't weld with propane.

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #7  
Previous posts are right about welding. Welding steel requires the carbon supplied by the Acetylene. O/P works fine for soldering, brazing, heating and cutting. Yes, Propane does not get as hot so takes longer to start a cut and speed of cut is slower w/o losing the melting point. I am a fan of Victor brand. For the expected use the light duty combonitaion welding/cutting is more than adequate and a lot handier/lighter.

Prices are all about the same over the spectrum. O/P cutting tips are special and not interchangeable with the O/A ones. Acetylene "B" tanks are large enough for your expected use as are 5 GL propane. Oxy I would go either 40 or 60 CF. For most dealers the 40s and 60s are interchanged when trading off depending on which they have on hand. New tanks will cost twice as much as the O/A set. Consider finding used for about 1/2 the price of new.
For me the hose provided with the set are too short and I like a smaller dia 6-8' short hose called a whip as it is more flexible and not so stiff. Never seen a set come with heating tips (the ones with multiple orifices and called rosebuds. The B tanks will only provide a flow to support the small rosebuds w/o sucking acetone out of the tank absorbent filler. Lot of pricing available on the internet. I have heard that the set from HF is compatible with victor.

Safety Note: Acetylene pressure over 15 lbs is considered extremely dangerous: that's why the gauge on the regulator stops at 15.

I am a better O/A welder than I am arc welder but now only use O/A to thin materials or if the arc is not available or to cumbersome to set up for 1 or 2 welds. Due to the cost of acetylene I now use O/P 95% of the time. I use angle grinder cut off wheels or a band saw for cutting. Spend some money and get a Plasma Cutter, say $1K.

O/A 101 from your friendly pipe-fitter, Ron

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #8  
^^^Everything Ron and others said^^^

Plus buy a copy of this little book... IMG_2009.JPG

They're usually available from used book vendors on Amazon.

Good luck and have fun!

Terry

/ Seeking advice on welding torch
Thank you for all your advice. I will definitely find and read that book.

/ Seeking advice on welding torch #10  
The book is available on Amazon. Back in my younger day we used the book by Linde, also on Amazon. Back then we O/A butt welded all piping 2" and smaller always only one pass. Much faster than arc which was at least two passes. Negative factor was warping which was worse than arc.Worst job I ever had was welding 6" pipe, horizontal welds, 3" away from walls in a corner. Some we had to cut a window in the front and weld the back side from the inside. Lots of fun, and HOT.

Ron