Sediment bowel necessity

/ Sediment bowel necessity #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
Sediment bowl necessity

I have a '65 L8 that I was having problems with he sediment bowl leaking. Out os shear laziness it took me several years to finally get some cork and make a new gasket. During this time I lost the bracket that hols the glass bowl. there already is a fuel filter in the gas line so in the attempt to get this moving again I just removed the sediment bowl and connected the fuel line directly to the carb. I have verified the fuel makes it to the end of the fuel line but seems to not make it into the carb. Before I go down the rebuild the carb is there some reason the sediment bowl is essential to this system?

Last edited:
   / Sediment bowel necessity #3  
I have a '65 L8 that I was having problems with he sediment bowel leaking. Out os shear laziness it took me several years to finally get some cork and make a new gasket. During this time I lost the bracket that hols the glass bowel. there already is a fuel filter in the gas line so in the attempt to get this moving again I just removed the sediment bowel and connected the fuel line directly to the carb. I have verified the fuel makes it to the end of the fuel line but seems to not make it into the carb. Before I go down the rebuild the carb is there some reason the sediment bowel is essential to this system?

Yes, the sediment bowl is essential. It is a dirt and water filter so the junk in the fuel won't clog up the carburetor. It would be ok to bypass it to get the tractor home or to a repair shop. To run it w/o that will soon lead to a clogged up carburetor.

You can buy a new sediment bowl assembly at most tractor supply stores or easily order one online. All the ones I have seen are inexpensive.

I would bet the float is stuck shut in the carburetor. Usually there is a way to pull just the bowl off and clean it out, while your there you can spray some carb cleaner around the needle and seat then carefully juggle the float and free up the float/needle/seat assembly.

It's possible that it will need a complete carburetor rebuild before it runs very well.

It's a pretty easy job to rebuild a carb and kits are usually pretty inexpensive.

/ Sediment bowel necessity
Re: Sediment bowl necessity

Thank you I fixed my spelling error. No need to start a discussion on leaky bowels.

Shouldn't an inline fuel filter remove the junk out of the fuel negating the need for the sediment bowl? Interesting that the sediment bowls from GT Gravely parts and significantly cheaper than the TSC ones.

/ Sediment bowel necessity #5  
Re: Sediment bowl necessity

Thank you I fixed my spelling error. No need to start a discussion on leaky bowels.

Shouldn't an inline fuel filter remove the junk out of the fuel negating the need for the sediment bowl? Interesting that the sediment bowls from GT Gravely parts and significantly cheaper than the TSC ones.

Yes and no. Once the cheap azzed in line filter clogs what then? With a sediment bowl one can SEE the chit in the bowl and drain it out. Or one can continue to use it until it clogs solid and the tractor stops running. Youse choice....

/ Sediment bowel necessity #6  
i got bloody tired of sediment bowl. went through 4 of the stupid things, and different 0 rings materials.

i just got a cheap clear (see through) in line fuel filter. and was done with it. and never looked backed. price of inline fuel filter and a couple fittings, was well worth my time. vs ready to empty the fuel from tractor and then toss fuel back on tractor and light a match.

the inline fuel filters are cheap enough, i bought 2 for one for backup. in case a weed or stick or something tore filter off or it got clogged.

/ Sediment bowel necessity
After spraying carb cleaner in the fuel inlet port and letting it sit the engine did run. It wasn't pretty but it ran. I pulled the carb off and separated the two halves and cleaned things the best I could. Put it all back to gather and it now makes lots of noise. the muffler ready to fall off is probably that problem. i puts our a little white smoke but at least it runs again.

/ Sediment bowel necessity #8  
Sediment bowls are very efficient at separating water and other heavier-than-fuel contaminants. Difficulty with o ring and or seal failure is all but certain to be directly related to poor choice of materials or poor installation. Buy the correct seal and install it with care.

/ Sediment bowel necessity #9  
My two cents; the quality see through in line filtes, such as WIX, are every bit as good as the filter/sediment bowls. Plus, the in line type is less mess and trouble. On my JD farm tractor I only had 34 years of use on it and the top that holds that sediment bowl started seeping around the inlet. Had to epoxy the inlet nipple back in. What poor service! ;-)

prs

/ Sediment bowel necessity #10  
A sediment bowl catches and holds a lot of crap, so I could see where you call it a sediment bowel.