Seat Repair/Replace options

/ Seat Repair/Replace options #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
The seat on my 2001 NH TC33D has a couple of big tears that have opened up (6" long x 1/2"-3/4" wide). Is there an easy & durable way to repair this, or should I be looking at replacing the seat?

If a replacement is in order, can someone recommend a good one that fits well (and still allows the seat pivot mechanism to operate).

/ Seat Repair/Replace options #2  
i got what looks to be an oem replacement seat for mine off ebay about 5 years ago
still fine
seems like it was about 1/3 the price as NH dealer

/ Seat Repair/Replace options #3  
Surplus Center has a wide variety of replacement seats, new, and some cheaper ones with blemishes. Note the bolt pattern on the bottom of the seat and if I was looking, I'd go for fold up armrests. Let us potential buyers know what you ended up with. (photos)

/ Seat Repair/Replace options
LS mt125 - I think I saw your post on another thread. I was concerned from the description of the fabric that this seat was intended for use inside a cab, or on a tractor that is stored indoors. One of my reasons for replacing my current seat is that now that the cover material has split, the seat cushion soaks up water like a sponge. In the winter, it then freezes into a solid block. In other seasons, it squirts the water back out when I sit on it (usually ending up in my shoes/boots). While Cordura fabric can be treated to be water resistant, it's not water proof (and the treatment eventually degrades).

My other concerns are that my current seat flips forward (I'd like to keep that feature, since the seat doesn't get baking hot in the sun if I flip it forward when I'm off it, and because it keeps water from pooling in the seat.) and it has a nice suspension under it, which does wonders for improving the ride. I haven't examined the suspension to see if it stays with the tractor or comes off with the seat.

/ Seat Repair/Replace options #6  
   / Seat Repair/Replace options #7  
I replaced an OEM seat on a Kioti with the Talon seat. I was not too impressed with the quality. It is black vinyl and I park the tractor outside. Since the replacement seat does not flip forward like the OEM, it is exposed to the sun. It only took a few months for the black to fade to a gray color. Talon also does a very poor job of documentation. The Cordura seat material is "water resistant." It actually really soaks up water.

/ Seat Repair/Replace options
... Good roll of duct tape cost $10. I never had good luck with tape...!

Already tried the duct tape. It lasted just a few uses then started peeling off. (I used Gorilla Tape, which I've had good luck with on other repairs.)

/ Seat Repair/Replace options #9  
Already tried the duct tape. It lasted just a few uses then started peeling off. (I used Gorilla Tape, which I've had good luck with on other repairs.)

Just comparing duct tape cost versus the $46 seat. I wouldn't waste the time and money on tape.. :thumbsup:

/ Seat Repair/Replace options #10  
The seat on my 2001 NH TC33D has a couple of big tears that have opened up (6" long x 1/2"-3/4" wide). Is there an easy & durable way to repair this, or should I be looking at replacing the seat?

If a replacement is in order, can someone recommend a good one that fits well (and still allows the seat pivot mechanism to operate).

I had a local guy repair my vinyl seat nicks and tears with a plastic weld material. I ripped a 2" gash in my RTV Seat and he repaired it, he had to stitch the fabric together then place the plastic over it. It has a small hump where the repair was made. For small nicks like was on my Goldwing seat, the repair is invisible. Might be a local guy around you that does the same thing. My guy does furniture repairs also. He charged me $25 to do both repairs. For easily and cheaply replaced seats, it isn't economical to repair, but for things like upholstery in vehicles, furniture etc that may cost several hundred dollars to replace or things like my neighbors motor home door that the plastic around the handle was split, those are almost irreplaceable items so $25 is cheap.