Seat kill switch adjustment?

/ Seat kill switch adjustment? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I have a BX2350 that is about 10 years old. It seems like I amhaving more and more problems with the seat switch trying to kill the tractor. It looks to me like it is on the right rear seat spring. I do notreally see a good way to adjust it. Maybe mount some kind of shim on the bottom of the seat spring? Looking for ideas, I do not really want to eleminate it.

/ Seat kill switch adjustment? #2  
I had the same problem on my BX2200. I wound up just replacing the seat springs. It also doesn't help that I am a avid runner I only weigh 115 lbs @ 5'4". Depending on what I am wearing for pants, if I slide too far forward in the seat my tractor will suddenly shut off. Happens a lot during the winter if I'm wearing my snow pants because I will slide all over. Wearing the seatbelt fixes that issue, but there's a lot of times when I need to frequently get off and on the machine so it can be quite annoying. But I'd rather have the safety feature just in case of stupidity on my part.

I have a Snapper lawn tractor, and if I don't sit square on the seat, it won't turn over or it will shut off.

I did, personally find that anything under 110 lbs, it varies greatly by machine. So I plan ahead to make sure I eat plenty of junk food before using my machinery. :)

Edit: Coincidentally I looked online just now, and manufacturers recommend 50KG/110lbs for minimum operator weight.
Am I too heavy or too light to operate a ride-on mower or tractor? – MowDirect

/ Seat kill switch adjustment? #3  
Either eat a lot or put bricks in your pockets. The seat on my tractor screams every time I sit on it................

Doesn't your tractor have a "suspension adjustment" knob. Turn the knob one way, the springs get stiffer - the other way they get softer. With the suspension adjusted softer, the seat rides lower and the kill switch activates with less weight.

My riding lawn mower will momentarily kill if I ride over bumps to fast. I bounce up and the motor coughs...........

Perhaps you just need a new kill switch.

/ Seat kill switch adjustment?
Did you replace the springs with softer springs? I am over 6 feet tall and weigh 235 and still have problems.

/ Seat kill switch adjustment? #5  
I measured them up, and found softer springs online. I don't remember where -- it was a long time ago. Only problem, is it's more of a "ridged" ride, but it worked.

Not all sensors are like this. In my Snapper, the sensor is in the center of the seat -- totally different than the Kubota. I'm sure if I dismantle the sensor, I could do the same to that, but it's too much work. The Kubota was a lot easier, plus it was justified, because I use it a lot more.

/ Seat kill switch adjustment? #7  
I'm not really sure on your set up, but I run into this every once in awhile in what I do. It could simply be a switch that is becoming worn. My LS has a basic seat switch like a lawn tractor would have and would be cheap to replace. One would think you could pop the switch and take an Ohmmeter to possibly confirm that. Sometimes a shim is what's needed for someone who is on the lighter side of things. A little creativity can make life a lot easier. On disc switches that are resting against the pad of the seat, a layer of extra foam or even a folded piece of cloth makes the switches engage with less effort and done correctly the switch will function better than new. Kudos for not disconnecting the seat switch!

/ Seat kill switch adjustment? #8  
Hate to suggest it but many simply bypass that switch to eliminate your type of problems.
Many so called safety switches are located in areas that are subject to corrosion etc.
Now I don't advocate bypassing safety devices but sometimes it is necessary.*

LOL, perhaps eating a bit (like gain some weight) more will cure your problem.

*In areas where much tractor work is snow removal I'd bet that 90% of those switches are bypassed.

/ Seat kill switch adjustment?
Its only a problem when approaching a drop off to dump something and then the engine starts to cut out. Then the saftey device becomes a hazard. I lost 40 pounds over the last 8 months, trust me, I don't want to gain it back.

/ Seat kill switch adjustment? #10  
I think these switches are part of the "dumbing down" of America. Don't we know enough not to stick our toes under a running mower, or stick our fingers in a running snowblower chute? But all it takes is one schmuck, and bingo! we all have to deal with these switches. I've disabled them on both BX's I've owned and never looked back.