Seat belt gets tighter and tighter.

/ Seat belt gets tighter and tighter. #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
The seat belt on my GC2400 has a ratchet in it. It is supposed to catch where you pull it out around you and hold. Good in theory but it just keeps getting tighter and tighter until you just have to take it off. Anyone have an answer to this. I would like to use it but When something hurts after a few min. I end up just taking it off and forgetting about it. Ed

/ Seat belt gets tighter and tighter. #2  
   / Seat belt gets tighter and tighter. #3  
The seat belt on my GC2400 has a ratchet in it. It is supposed to catch where you pull it out around you and hold. Good in theory but it just keeps getting tighter and tighter until you just have to take it off. Anyone have an answer to this. I would like to use it but When something hurts after a few min. I end up just taking it off and forgetting about it. Ed

Now that you mention it, I have the same problem. Especially when using a 3 pt attachment, it's difficult to turn around and view the result, since I'm nailed to the seat.

/ Seat belt gets tighter and tighter. #4  

Same here-the Pony clamp is a good idea and Im going to give it a try.

/ Seat belt gets tighter and tighter.
Thanks BHD We use one of them when we drive a disabled family member to keep the belt from rubbing his neck so I should have thought of that. There will be one on my tractor today!!! Ed

/ Seat belt gets tighter and tighter. #6  
I know it is politically incorrect to suggest this BUT, there is almost never a good reason to be wearing a seat belt on a tractor. There is only one kind of circumstance where it helps protect you and that is where you need the ROPS to prevent being crushed in a roll-over. In that rare event, you should wear the seat belt, only when you are in danger of rolling the tractor over. In my opinion I should NEVER be operating my tractor where there is significant likelihood of rolling the machine. I have never seen any plausibility argument, much less "proof," that you should wear a seat belt on a tractor. In a car or truck where many high speed objects are around you all the time -- absolutely wear the belt ! On a tractor, NO. I also hold the opinion that a seat belt on a tractor is predominantly a butt covering exercise demanded by lawyers working for the manufacturers.

/ Seat belt gets tighter and tighter. #7  
I know it is politically incorrect to suggest this BUT, there is almost never a good reason to be wearing a seat belt on a tractor. There is only one kind of circumstance where it helps protect you and that is where you need the ROPS to prevent being crushed in a roll-over. In that rare event, you should wear the seat belt, only when you are in danger of rolling the tractor over. In my opinion I should NEVER be operating my tractor where there is significant likelihood of rolling the machine. I have never seen any plausibility argument, much less "proof," that you should wear a seat belt on a tractor. In a car or truck where many high speed objects are around you all the time -- absolutely wear the belt ! On a tractor, NO. I also hold the opinion that a seat belt on a tractor is predominantly a butt covering exercise demanded by lawyers working for the manufacturers.

I have a different opinion. Unless you have disabled it . . . your tractor or mine has a seat safety switch. They are great because in neutral they don't trigger but engaged if you jump off the seat to secure a load or unload . . it kills. Thats great except if you end up in even a mild teeter totter motion going down an incline. Any kind of jostling can cause you to come up on the seat and the tractor stalls a little . . You land back down on the sest . . It jerks back to running mode each time and quickly the teeter totter gets a little more like a bucking bronco . . Faster and stronger.

But if you have a seat belt on that doesn't get started because the seat doesn't come up enough for the safety switch to trigger.

Seat belts on a tractor are for alot more things than just roll overs or tipovers.

/ Seat belt gets tighter and tighter. #8  
Two mistakes don't make a case for a tractor seat belt.

/ Seat belt gets tighter and tighter. #10  
Seat belt gets tighter and tighter.
I've had this problem for years ;)