Sears Tools That Suck On The Price

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
new thread to free up the HF overflow of concerns with sears..

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #2  
News story that yesterday Sears has dropped the price on 5,000 items in their Canadian stores. Not sure if it includes tools, sounds like Target coming to Canada has got them being pro active. :thumbsup:

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #3  
News story that yesterday Sears has dropped the price on 5,000 items in their Canadian stores. Not sure if it includes tools, sounds like Target coming to Canada has got them being pro active. :thumbsup:

If I had to pick a store to move to canada, target wouldnt even be on my list... Why couldnt we get harbor freight. (I shouldnt complain, we just had a princess auto come to the island)

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #4  
I don't buy anymore Craftsman tools. Id say at the very least, 50%, are now made in China. Also on the Sears website it's deceiving. Tools in the ad pictures are marked "USA" but, when you get them some of them are made in China.

It's starting to get pretty sad. Even most of the newer Snap-on tools no longer are stamped with "USA". It makes me wonder where they are really made, or if they are trying to hide something.

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #6  
Unbelievable:confused2:

I havent followed the HF thread in quite some time. It gets repetitive after awhile.

But this is just too sad.

If I were shopping for any one of them items, I probabally would have caught that as well. I price and online shop for everything. Compare items several times, read reviews, etc. I think now a days everyone needs to.

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #7  
Rest assured that Sears DO NOT have any tool factory.
Everything is a re-branded made in China, probably in a factory owned by B&D/Dewalt.
(Or maybe I should say B&D/DeWalt/Stanley.)

Real scary when you learn of all the brands that DeWalt and Stanley actually own.
Just recently Stanley and DeWalt joined up.
The only brands that I am positive of being independent are Makita and Hitachi.

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #8  
Last week was looking for a 1/2" to 3/4" socket adapter. Called all over looking for one. Figured for sure Sears had it. They did not. Called Lowes as a last resort. One of their stores was out, but looked in the system and found another close to me store had two. Called to verify. When I got there I only found one on the shelf. I asked a guy who I thought was the one I had talked to on the phone. It was in fact the same person and the reason only one was left was because he had pulled on to hold in case someone came through and got them both. I had not even asked him to do this. Lately I have been buying most of my tools through Lowes. The Kobalt line has a Lifetime Warranty just like the Craftsman. So far I have had good luck with the Kobalt tools.

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #9  
Crazy as it sounds, when I need a tool, I try to buy a used US, Euro, Canada or Japanese made tool. It's usually about the same price as new Chinese junk, but I'll be able to hand it down to someone instead of throw it away. I can't believe people actually buy chinese tractors, implements and tools.

This country's manufacturing woes are a disgrace.

/ Sears Tools That Suck On The Price #10  
Lowes and Home Depot both have pretty good quality hand tools. I've got a couple of big tool chests full of Craftsman, but as they break or need replacement (screwdriver tips worn, etc) and I take them to Sears for replacement, the quality of what I'm getting in return for my older tool just doesn't match up. The ratchets I turn in are all metal, the ones they give me in replacement have plastic parts, etc. Maybe they are going to be as durable, but I doubt it.

As for Lowe's and HD, if you're military, or retired military, there's a 10% discount if you show your ID. I was somewhat reluctant to use it at first, didn't really want any "stigma" but every time I have pulled out my ID, I've been thanked for my service to our country and each of those thanks appears to come from the heart, with a smile and a sincere tone. Makes me feel good to ask for what they offer in appreciation for my time in the military.

Harbor freight, Lowes and HD have pretty much replaced my dependence on Sears for hand tools. With this recent exposure of price gouging by Sears, I'm even further from "needing them for anything"