Sea foam

/ Sea foam #2  
Wow a week and nobody ever replied to this?

I've used Seafoam, mainly to scrub the oil system clean, then to do an oil change on the engine. Gunk Motor Flush is also another alternative and cost wise works really well.

If you plan on doing the engine oil with a Seafoam flush, I would also recommend doing the top end to clean off the combustion chambers and piston head tops. Not sure of your machine brand. There are ways to Seafoam via the intake as it can vary from brand to brand.

/ Sea foam
Wow a week and nobody ever replied to this?

I've used Seafoam, mainly to scrub the oil system clean, then to do an oil change on the engine. Gunk Motor Flush is also another alternative and cost wise works really well.

If you plan on doing the engine oil with a Seafoam flush, I would also recommend doing the top end to clean off the combustion chambers and piston head tops. Not sure of your machine brand. There are ways to Seafoam via the intake as it can vary from brand to brand.
Thanks for the response I put some in the oil pan but I was wondering if it’s worth using it in the fuel

/ Sea foam #4  
Thanks for the response I put some in the oil pan but I was wondering if it’s worth using it in the fuel

Actually i works GREEEAAAATTTT in diesel fuel. Use in the summer to keep the microbes from making sludge in the diesel. It doesn't take much either for a 5-gallon tank. Use in the winter as a gas/diesel de-icer too.

seafoam.jpg

/ Sea foam
Actually i works GREEEAAAATTTT in diesel fuel. Use in the summer to keep the microbes from making sludge in the diesel. It doesn't take much either for a 5-gallon tank. Use in the winter as a gas/diesel de-icer too.

View attachment 719928
How well does it clean carbon deposits

/ Sea foam #7  
A couple of years ago I bought a Ford 3910 (50 hp 3 cyl) in an estate sale where the owner isn't with us any longer. It had 900 hrs on a 1988 year model machine and apparently the older gent hadn't used it much for many of his last years.

First thing I did was to change all the fluids. On the engine oil, soon after I fired it up I stopped it and checked the dipstick and it was black.

I drained that new oil and stuck my finger in the drain hole feeling something like 1/4" of sludge on the bottom of the oil pan....for those unaware, if you take black detergent oil and sit it on a shelf for a couple of years all the sediment will settle to the bottom and the oil will return to honey coloer....had that happen to a clear plastic drain container that I didn't drain for some reason...just set it on the shelf......back to the story: I returned that oil to the engine along with a pint of Sea Foam.

I ran the engine for about half an hour at 1500 RPM (PTO is 1800 on that machine) draining the oil and feeling the bottom of the pan again. It was clean. I installed new oil/filer again and it stayed clean.

Been using it as a gas treatment for years and with nothing better to do have restored older 2 and 4 stroke small engines with just fresh gas and SF. My 20 year old 2 stroke 115 hp outboard engine gets it every fill up.

/ Sea foam #8  
How well does it clean carbon deposits
As I just said, I used it in my outboard and spark plug examinations of piston tops shows no carbon to speak of....grey piston crowns but no scale.

/ Sea foam #9  
I have never used it as a engine oil additive but I did only get it to fix the running condition of a gas/carb engine. Lawnmower with the idle port a bit clogged. It would surge at idle. That being said I wont buy the stuff again. I have used 3 bottles at this point with only 1 success.

With that being said I have a 2009 accord that has had a known issue with the piston rings getting carboned up causing it to burn oil. It would burn 2qt of oil every 1,000mi. I used rotella t6 5w40 in it and changed the oil/filter every 1,000mi. I did this a few times, 6-9x if I remember. It now dosnt burn any oil and I use 5w30.

Diesel oil has alot of detergents in it alreaty so just change the oil often. If it's really sludged up I may run some diesel in the engine or marvel mystery oil in it

/ Sea foam #10  
I have used sea-foam to fill diesel filters after changing and have un-jelled starting to jell diesel with it.

I treat diesel year round with power service white bottle. The 790 starts better and smother and the same with the 1150 dozer.... And when the temps drop, I am fully treated from tank to injector nozzles.

I don't remember using seat foam in any diesel engine, but lots of sea-foam in gassers fuel and oil.

Sea foam is good stuff, I now buy it by the gallon. The ethanol in gas these days I believe, is worse than ultra low sulphur diesel comparing fuel issues between diesel and gas engines.

All my gas cans get sea foam treatment every fill up.