screaching rotational noise springs up intermittently under load.

/ screaching rotational noise springs up intermittently under load. #1  

hhiibel

Tractor
husq 21k46
I have a 4320 with cab. This situation is hard to describe. It happens in any gear. I can be harrowing and suddenly a screeching rotational noise comes on from steering counsel or bottom of it. I push in clutch and still have the sound. I take it out of gear and still have the sound. I put the fwd/reverse tiller in neutral and still have sound. I turn it off, start it and no sound. It can then come right back (or not) when I go back to working harrow. A few days ago I adjusted the clutch pedal play for the first time ever and thought problem solved (the engage was nearly to the floor) but after about 4 hours of use over several days the sound came back. Same symptoms. This has been going on for about a year. It was very rare but now crops up frequently. I don't pto. When it first started I thought I was addressing it by adjusting the nut under the fwd/rev tiller. It seemed if nut was too loose or too tight I got the noise. Just before I adjusted the pedal play for the first time a few days ago, I couldn't get it to go away. It would come right back upon loading it after start up. So I really thought I'd scored when after adjusting the pedal I could loaded it and work and even overload to kill. But only got about 4 hours of bliss before it came back. I measured the play just now and it seems to have decreased to about 1/2 inch. So, I just now set it to about 1 inch again and haven't tried it yet. Is there a clutch inspection plate? Or where do I check gearbox fluid? Is there a gear drive cable on the fwd/rev tiller?

To recap, the noise is rotational screeching/gear-ish? Push in clutch, take out of gear, put in netrual (fwd/rev) still have sound. Turn off, start up no sound. Clutch works fine, fwd/rev works, gears work, I can drive it around any speed, any gear, no sound. Go back to putting a load on it and sound comes back (at some point).

/ screaching rotational noise springs up intermittently under load. #2  
I've got a 5740C and I'm not sure we're talking about the same kind of noise, but I've got a small hydraulic leak in the transfer box under the step on the right side where my front end loader hydraulic connections all plug in. I've changed out the O rings in all total combined 8 connections at this "box" twice over the last ten years but still have a leak. After a few months, the level of hydraulic fluid drops and I get a screeching sound that just seems to start at any time but that I can eliminate by turning the steering wheel, raising or lowering my FEL or just moving my FEL from left to right or visa versa. When that starts I know immediately from experience that I'm low on hydraulic fluid in my tractor. I put in more hydraulic fluid and the sound disappears for months until I'm low on fluid again. You see on Montana tractors, the entire tractor's hydraulic system works out of one hydraulic reservoir, power steering, FEL and anything else hydraulic. The place on my model tractor where you add hydraulic fluid is behind the cab's rear window and is an aluminum tube with what would look like a black rubber plug in it with a quarter inch aluminum tube coming out of the top. Hope this helps.

/ screaching rotational noise springs up intermittently under load.
thanks. i wiil find and check the hyd fluid level.
ok. pretty sure I found the dipstick for the main transmission essentially back where described. yes its low. manual says sae 80. I'm not a expert. are there sae 80 oils and then sae 80 hyd oils? or is sae 80 only one thing? cause I'm thinking to add sae 80 gear oil. advise. thanks. ok. its jut plain sae 80 gear oil. this is great. I really hope it fixes it. thanks. 3 gallons and counting. guess it will be around 4 gallons. picking up more tomorrow.

Last edited:
   / screaching rotational noise springs up intermittently under load. #4  
I use Tractor Supply brand, all purpose, hydraulic fluid. Depending on how often and how much you'll use will determine the size container of hydraulic fluid you'll need to buy. I THINK mine are the 2 or 2 1/2 gallon size. Glad it helped you somewhat if not completely. Afterall, if you were that low on hydraulic fluid, you needed fluid added very badly anyway.

/ screaching rotational noise springs up intermittently under load.
it took a total of 5 gallons.

/ screaching rotational noise springs up intermittently under load. #6  
Sounds right if you were very low, almost empty if it took that much. Now, check your fluid level on a regular basis and add when needed to make sure you don't hear that screech sound again. Good Luck buddy.