Scrapers aka Dirt Pans for Smaller Tractors

/ Scrapers aka Dirt Pans for Smaller Tractors

Those Ashlands look nice, but they're bigger than what I'm thinking about. Apparently they used to make some smaller models, but dropped them from the line up.

/ Scrapers aka Dirt Pans for Smaller Tractors
If you are moving the material any distance further than a 1/4 mile, an excavator and dump trailer or a dump truck would be more efficient.

How large of an excavator are you talking about? I figured a full size excavator can load like mad, but it's also pretty spendy. Can a mini excavator and a dump trailer beat out the small scraper?

/ Scrapers aka Dirt Pans for Smaller Tractors #13  
How large of an excavator are you talking about? I figured a full size excavator can load like mad, but it's also pretty spendy. Can a mini excavator and a dump trailer beat out the small scraper?
Good question, A 100,000 lb excavator can easily fill a 12 yard dump in three cycles. About a minute.
Yes, a mini ex and a dump trailer will out work a scrapper. My opinion from personal experience on bid jobs.
Given that your signature has multiple tractors in it, I have to assume you are able to work equipment to its capacity. (Assume, yea I know)

If your soil type is soft, you would be able to use a 24" digging bucket with a mini ex of 10,000 lbs.
With the 24" bucket you would be able to heap aproximately 1.9 yards per cycle.

In medium to hard soil conditions a 16" digging bucket would be able to heap aproximately 1.3 yards per cycle.

/ Scrapers aka Dirt Pans for Smaller Tractors #14  
I've always wanted one of these. Don't need it but every time I see one for sale I look at it. One day I'll run across one on the cheap and buy it.

I've seen some as small as a yard capacity, but that might be so small as to make it more trouble than a good size landscape box.

/ Scrapers aka Dirt Pans for Smaller Tractors #17  
Somewhat performing the same function, I converted a leftover box blade to smooth out/move dirt with.

Used an old trailer axle and bought a cheap cylinder for lifting the rear. Fine tuning with the 3-point allows surprising precision. Using a 5' 2-inch square tube extension makes it more accurate yet.

Everything is pinned in place, so the box blade can be used in normal fashion, too.
DSCN0667.JPG

/ Scrapers aka Dirt Pans for Smaller Tractors #18  
I have a DP60 pan. Still using to maintain levees around the duck holes and in process of building a dividing levee for rice production.
The Mahindra 3510 will pull it fine but it does struggle for traction in dry hard ground.
The 8560 will scrape a bucket full while filling the pan to overflow.
Most of the soil comes from a small dried up pond that will one day soon be a small lake.
Able to build a lake and levee at the same time. I have to catch the conditions right to use the pan for scraping as hard ground is tough to slice off. It tends to want to come up in chunks. My next idea is to load pan and dig out the lake with the backhoe on 3510 rather than scraping an inch off, dig several feet out at a time. Maybe I can get some help to run the AC 8560??
I would like to have a DB84 but unless I could trade, good with this one for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37