School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment

/ School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
A friend bought a 50" Landpride tiller at the Kubota dealer. We used it this weekend but I was not super impressed with the depth it was able to till to. We used a ripper to rip 3 4' wide by 40 foot long rows. We then added some Compost and went to tilling it seems like the tiller only tilled up the first 6" of existing soil. I was hoping to get more mixture of existing soil and new compost. We had the skids on either side all the way up and the top link adjusted so the tiller was angled forward a bit. School me on tiller usage and how to get them to dig deeper please. In the end the beds looked amazing, I was just hoping to get a bit more depth and better mixing of existing and new.
IMG_0412.jpg

/ School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment
One thing I was thinking is because we were basically making rows as wide as the tiller the tiller will only go as deep as the skid feet will allow. So those skid feet are riding on existing untilled ground and will never get any deeper than the original pass.

/ School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment #5  
I've got a John Deere 550 tiller. I have thought about taking the skids totally off... I imagine it would be fine for a while.

/ School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment #6  
I found that with my 4' Kubota tiller that if I need to go more than about 4 1/2 inches deep I need to take off the shoes. Then I can get down to about 6 1/2 to 7 inches on the first pass.When I make a second pass going the opposite direction I can get down to almost 8 inches.

Dave

/ School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment
I found that with my 4' Kubota tiller that if I need to go more than about 4 1/2 inches deep I need to take off the shoes. Then I can get down to about 6 1/2 to 7 inches on the first pass.When I make a second pass going the opposite direction I can get down to almost 8 inches.

Dave
Ok, gotcha! I was expecting better performance . But I now know what to expect and how to squeeze a bit more depth out of it. Thanks!

/ School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment #8  
It's a tiller, not a bottom plow. If you want something better than what you have you need to buy something different. That looks pretty good if you ask me. Except those ditches you dug when you dropped the tiller. You need to learn to roll the tractor and lower the tiller at the same time. I just finished tilling in about a 1/4 acre of Treflan getting ready to plant tomorrow.

/ School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment #9  
Same, I remove the shoes... for what's it is worth, your photos look perfect! Throw in a dozen or so rocks in each path, and it looks like my "dirt"...

/ School me on PTO tiller use and depth adjustment #10  
Looks good to me too! Don't need to go deeper. Corn is the deepest thing you will plant.