Scam? I think so.

/ Scam? I think so. #111  
It's very likely a scam. FB is full of fake and scam ads the are looking for a quick score on someone gullible, or maybe leads on where to look for equipment to steal.

Most of them follow a similar script. Just lost a close relative or friend, "in the Military and just got deployed", or variations on that. Never will you be able to see the machine because "fill in some BS tale). Same sort of thing goes on for newer used cars.

In some cases I will pursue something like that "just to be sure" and then sigh move on.

/ Scam? I think so. #112  
...Craigslist scammers... you can immediately spot the fake listings. Price too good to be true, not many pictures. The pictures don't look like they were taken here...
Or the phone number or gmail address are pasted in the picture?

/ Scam? I think so. #113  
People keep falling for this scam. I feel sorry for them. My cousin called and said she got a "too good to be true" deal. The seller had some crappy sob story of course. I stopped her in her tracks.

/ Scam? I think so. #114  
In another thread I was complaining about a listing on Craig's list that sounded too good to be true and that the person who listed it replied back to me once and then not again.

Well, today I got a reply with a name and the pictures I requested. The tractor looks fantastic. The location of the tractor, according to Craig's list is about 2 hours from me. I sent the seller, who says she is selling her recently deceased husband's tractor, a list of dates that I could come and pay cash for the tractor. This is the reply I got:

As I mentioned before, I'm a widow and now I'm here in *******, ** staying with my parents. [That is not the location listed on Craig's list].
The tractor is already at the shipping company in Roanoke sealed and ready for shipping. My presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with Continental Freight Shippers. The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 3-4 days. You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense. If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask Continental Freight Shippers to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. Continental Freight Shippers will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the confirmation that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller.
If you would like to receive the email from Continental Freight Shippers with all the transaction information please reply with your full name, shipping address and phone # and they will call you right away.
Hope to hear from you soon.

So, this obviously looks fishy. I cannot find a company with the exact name of Continental Freight Shippers but there are a few with very similar names. My wife, who is an excellent researcher, could not find a person by the name the seller gave me in the area that the Craig's list posting originated from except for someone who is deceased. Craig's list also says only to buy face-to-face. The part about trying it for 5 days and sending it back at the seller's expense sounds ridiculous too.

I sent her my work number and address. I'll play along and try to be an optimist just because I want it to be real (the pictures show a sweet tractor!). I'm normally a realist....pessimist according to my wife.

It makes me sad and angry that we live in this kind of world. It also makes me disappointed in myself that I'm still hoping this might be legit.

Curious if others have seen this sort of thing?
TJH here in Northern California. I see this type ad on Facebook and Craigslist. I have followed through, most or scams.

/ Scam? I think so. #115  
So, this obviously looks fishy. I cannot find a company with the exact name of Continental Freight Shippers but there are a few with very similar names. My wife, who is an excellent researcher, could not find a person by the name the seller gave me in the area that the Craig's list posting originated from except for someone who is deceased. Craig's list also says only to buy face-to-face. The part about trying it for 5 days and sending it back at the seller's expense sounds ridiculous too.

There are tons just like this on craigslist. Here's how it works..
1) somebody died, and somebody else is in posession.
2) it's an unbelievably good price (typically $1000-$3000)
3) the location that they say that the tractor is at is very different from the location where the post came from. (I had one tell me it was at an airforce base in AZ.. yeah right)
4) they want to put you in contact with the "shipping company"
5) they want you to pay in store gift cards (like lowes, home depot, Target, amazon, etc.) And they want you to send you a picture of the cards as proof before they ship it.
6) the numbers in the pictures are all they need to claim the gift card value, and then they are gone like the wind.

I used to report them at about 10/month. They tend to target Kubota and John Deere because there are plenty of pictures of these.
Another way you can typically tell is that the picture clearly doesn't match the forsale location listed. Like, I saw one that was supposed to be in Kearny, NJ, which is super urban. It had trees in the background and was on about 10 acres of land.. Yeah right.
Another said east coast location but was clearly taken from an arrid climate zone.
(Sometimes you can also download the pictures and look at the geographic tagging information in the picture that was left by the camera that took it, Lat/Lon to corroborate things.

/ Scam? I think so. #116  
In another thread I was complaining about a listing on Craig's list that sounded too good to be true and that the person who listed it replied back to me once and then not again.

Well, today I got a reply with a name and the pictures I requested. The tractor looks fantastic. The location of the tractor, according to Craig's list is about 2 hours from me. I sent the seller, who says she is selling her recently deceased husband's tractor, a list of dates that I could come and pay cash for the tractor. This is the reply I got:

As I mentioned before, I'm a widow and now I'm here in *******, ** staying with my parents. [That is not the location listed on Craig's list].
The tractor is already at the shipping company in Roanoke sealed and ready for shipping. My presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with Continental Freight Shippers. The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 3-4 days. You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense. If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask Continental Freight Shippers to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. Continental Freight Shippers will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the confirmation that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller.
If you would like to receive the email from Continental Freight Shippers with all the transaction information please reply with your full name, shipping address and phone # and they will call you right away.
Hope to hear from you soon.

I sent her my work number and address. I'll play along and try to be an optimist just because I want it to be real (the pictures show a sweet tractor!). I'm normally a realist....pessimist according to my wife.

It makes me sad and angry that we live in this kind of world. It also makes me disappointed in myself that I'm still hoping this might be legit.

Very common Craigslist and Marketplace scam. What would you like, a tractor, an ATV, arising mower? They use same pic for multiple listings. Scams,I find same pic for same thing one same page with a little different description. You know the saying, If it seems to good to be true it likely isn’t.

/ Scam? I think so. #117  
Isnt Craigslist basically just one big scam anymore?
Well. I have some really nice steel frame casement windows for sale on Craigslist. 18”x48”. $100 each. Was going to use them in my house build but had a design change. Had 30 when I started selling them. Have 14 left. I’ve had to deal with some shady people and some nice people. And had a fee who trued to do the “send you a check “ scam. Now they also have the venmo scam. And other digital transfer scams.
I am taking a loss on them but they are no longer needed so out they go.
I have purchased and sold lots of things on craigslist.
you have to exercise due diligence.

/ Scam? I think so. #120  
Or the phone number or gmail address are pasted in the picture?
When the contact information is overprinted on the photo that's 100% scam.

Their purpose is to not leave any identifiable information in Craigslist's database.

This prevents tracing later by a victim. It also avoids detection of duplicate posts in different markets if law enforcement wants to find multiple victims.

Last edited: