Scag Liquid Cooled

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #11  
It isn't a scag thing.

Most the big players use all the same safety switches. So you'd just be trading names and color....but same issues
Something that could be used on other brands not as widespread is the operator interlock module used on Scag. Which is the brains off the Scag operation. Doesn't fail often but can be a bear to track down issues and not a cheap part.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #12  
Something that could be used on other brands not as widespread is the operator interlock module used on Scag. Which is the brains off the Scag operation. Doesn't fail often but can be a bear to track down issues and not a cheap part.
All of the newer mowers have their own sort of little mini computer.....and going to alot of efi mowers also adds complexity.

My wildcat don't have an interlock module.

But I am speaking in terms of general switches. The park brake, handles x2, and seat safeties.....are likely all the same generic part. Safe for ignition switchs and pto on/off switches.

I did as Eddie did and jumpered all the safeties on mine. Got tires of making sure handles were fully out, park brake set, and pto off just to jump off to move a dog toy real quick. Then back on.....don't pull on handles til park brake off or she does.....so hurry and throw the handles back out to keep it running.....release park brake then pull handles and go.

So annoying.....and I don't like starting and stopping the PTO unless absolutely necessary. Causes undue wear on the clutch itself, as well as the shockload on the belt.

But to each his own. I won't advise anyone to bypass safetys for legal reasons. There are still several adults that need rounded and plastic scissors for safety reasons too...

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #13  
All of the newer mowers have their own sort of little mini computer.....and going to alot of efi mowers also adds complexity.

My wildcat don't have an interlock module.

But I am speaking in terms of general switches. The park brake, handles x2, and seat safeties.....are likely all the same generic part. Safe for ignition switchs and pto on/off switches.

I did as Eddie did and jumpered all the safeties on mine. Got tires of making sure handles were fully out, park brake set, and pto off just to jump off to move a dog toy real quick. Then back on.....don't pull on handles til park brake off or she does.....so hurry and throw the handles back out to keep it running.....release park brake then pull handles and go.

So annoying.....and I don't like starting and stopping the PTO unless absolutely necessary. Causes undue wear on the clutch itself, as well as the shockload on the belt.

But to each his own. I won't advise anyone to bypass safetys for legal reasons. There are still several adults that need rounded and plastic scissors for safety reasons too...
Very true the new EFI systems are getting more complex. Some even have multiple modules. And the engine control module talks to the mower control module via can bus. And I have always had an issue with the stopping and starting of the pto clutch on some mowers. Some will disengage when both levers are moved to reverse, and then auto restart when one lever is moved back forward. Nothing like listening to your neighbors mowers and quietly saying to yourself. forward, reverse, forward, reverse.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #14  
I didnt know the stopping of the deck when reversed had made its way to zeroturns yet. I knew it was on riders. Nothing like implementing a non-option feature.....to sell more belts and clutches....and do it in the name of "safety".

One way or another.....I will NEVER own a mower that kills the deck when in reverse
Very true the new EFI systems are getting more complex. Some even have multiple modules. And the engine control module talks to the mower control module via can bus. And I have always had an issue with the stopping and starting of the pto clutch on some mowers. Some will disengage when both levers are moved to reverse, and then auto restart when one lever is moved back forward. Nothing like listening to your neighbors mowers and quietly saying to yourself. forward, reverse, forward, reverse.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #15  
I didnt know the stopping of the deck when reversed had made its way to zeroturns yet. I knew it was on riders. Nothing like implementing a non-option feature.....to sell more belts and clutches....and do it in the name of "safety".

One way or another.....I will NEVER own a mower that kills the deck when in reverse
Some will auto stop and start when both direction control levers are in the reverse position. Some will shut off the deck and you have to manually disengage and re-engage the deck. Some will kill the engine.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #16  
Some will auto stop and start when both direction control levers are in the reverse position. Some will shut off the deck and you have to manually disengage and re-engage the deck. Some will kill the engine.
I will never own one.... Or will find a way to override it

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #17  
I'm not sure any of the commercial machines do that.
I think some of the lower end residential models kill the mower when reversed.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #18  
I'm not sure any of the commercial machines do that.
I think some of the lower end residential models kill the mower when reversed.
I see it on Troybilt, Cub Cadet, Scag, and Kubota low to mid grade consumer Z turns. Not seen on full commercial mowers as of yet.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #19  
I do not know if the Kawasaki water cooled is quieter than the air cooled. I fixed a no start Scag with a few switches, removed jumper wires and replaced missing fuse holder. Then I moved on to new deck spindles, straightening bent deck, cutting out a bigger than 1 foot square section of broken deck metal and welding in a new patch, welding loose metal underneath, replacing missing bolts and on and on the list went. Went to mow and it looked horrible. How can that be as I measured and measured. I did not measure the new blades that were on the mower when I took it to repair. New blades a few inches longer and that mower cut like a dream. Quiet (for a 61" mower) and great quality of cut. That non-profit has a newer Scag with an air cooled engine. I guess I should try to do a test to see if the air cooled Scag is noisier than the water cooled Scag. The water cooled has only 1,000 hours and is maybe 16 years old. So much abuse and rigging/crummy repairs. I do not know how many hours I spent getting grease fittings to take grease. At least 2 full days. One full day cutting apart, pressing apart and welding back a parking brake actuator. All because of lack of proper greasing. Grease your fittings, even the ones with plugs that look like they do not get greased.

I too wondered if there is much difference between a Ferris, Scag, John Deere, Husqvarna, Ariens or whoever you consider to make a premium or heavy duty mower. Just keep it clean, painted, greased and oil changed.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #20  
Me either. And my Kubota doesn't have wheel motors which is something I really like about it. It also has shaft driven deck so there's no long deck belt like the Deere's have. Personally I think they have removed a lot of the complexity from their diesel ZTs.

I like a Kubota ZT for that reason. I have a 428D Grasshopper that’s Kubota powered that I bought used and it’s a good machine so trading isn’t high on my priority list but if I was going to I’d buy a Kubota.