Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel.

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
When diesel was at $2.179, I decided to get a barrel of off road diesel and save some money. I took a clean 55 gal barrel to town and found that the JD dealer was the only place to get off road diesel. They gave me a key to the pump and a clipboard to write down the gal. and I proceeded to go out back and pump up 53 gal of colored fuel. When I went to pay, I found out that it was only $2.089 per gal. so I saved a whopping $4.77. Two days ago, I finally run that tank on the tractor down really low, so I filled it with the fuel from the barrel, five minutes into using the tractor, it started to sputter and loose RPM, finally caught and was ok for another twenty minutes of idling around unloading a trailer. Today, I start mowing some grass and started sputtering again, went to the house took off the MMM and changed the filter, reinstalled the MMM and fifteen minutes later, started dying again, back to the house and off with the mower. Went to town and got a filter for the pump on the barrel of "cheap" off road diesel cost $34 and change, picked up three more filters for the tractor. Installed the filter on the pump, took $13.00 worth of fitting to make that work, changed the filter on the tractor and drained all the fuel. Put in the last three gal of good diesel out of my can and then got online and ordered a Mr. Funnel, $17.99. Saved a lot of money on that deal. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #2  
From a JD dealer !! ??

The offroad gas down at the corner country store seems to work fine for all the diesel tractors in my neighborhood.

You can get bad fuel many places, all offroad fuel is not bad stuff.

Ben

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #3  
Geez, that's a horrible story!!! I had to buy on-road diesel this weekend at the corner store for $3.45 ... I usually get off-road at $0.45 cheaper but, as others are finding, there is a shortage here and the store has had an order in for some weeks now but no delivery.

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #4  
I used to work for a fuel man for a company.

There is absolutely no diffrence between on-road and off-road diesel.

They both come out of the same tank at the fuel depot.

The only diffrence is when the driver punches in the off-road code to fuel up so many gallons at the loading station, it activates the dye pump while it fills the tanker.

It will run green for a minute, then dark red for a few seconds, then back to green.

The reason why off road is cheaper is because it does not have the 30 or so odd cents of tax added to it.

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #5  
The problem with off road fuel is that it usually sits. It is the same fuel with dye in it, however when you fill a 55gal drum and use it spuraticly you alow it to grow contaminates. Diesel fuel will absorb moisture and grow algae as well as begin to sepparate over time. Our engineering department recomends against using diesel fuel that has been stored for more than 6wks. Without the tax reg's on the red stuff and the tanks they are sometimes stored in being questionable you could get any level of it. I wouldnt run any of it without looking at it and even smelling it, you would also do well to add a cetane booster with lubricity additives.

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #6  
That's good info ... and maybe a start to more info. When you say look at, do you mean clarity? And, smell it, for an "off" or stale smell like way old gasoline is different than fresh gas?

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #7  
You can look at diesel fuel and see the water,algae or asphaltine sepparation. The smell thing, aeromatics matter, some others may be able to better describe it, but I like to make sure its diesel. There have been cases where gas or kerosene was mixed with the diesel to cut it for one reason or another, this would be a good way for someone with questionable morals to get rid of thier stale gas.

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #8  
The tax is what kills us!

I haven't tried (yet) in the tractor, but when I was commercial fishing we used to call the fuel oil (home heating) truck to get fill-up delivery right at the wharf & never had problems... thank you compression!

I'm thinking of putting in another 275 gal tank with a pump so I don't have to worry about running out for fuel...

Anyone tried it?

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #9  
Thanks for the add'l info. I live down stream from a Nat'l Park so getting rid of fuel isn,'t much of a prob BUT, I now know what to look/smell for.

/ Saved a bundle by getting off road fuel. #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the add'l info. I live down stream from a Nat'l Park so getting rid of fuel isn,'t much of a prob BUT, I now know what to look/smell for. )</font>

Did I read that right? What does living downstream from a Nat'l Park have to do with getting rid of fuel?

BR