Sausage Bread

/ Sausage Bread #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I'm the cook in my house. Part of cooking involves grinding all the ground meat we eat. Some of that meat is pork shoulder that I use for making sausage of various types. Sometimes when baking bread I put in a bunch of just barely cooked sausage. The sausage I make is leaner than the store bought stuff but I drain it on paper towels after cooking it if it's destined to go into bread. I don't know exactly how much sausage I add, I just add enough so that it looks right. But about 12 ounces pre-cooked weight per loaf is what I use. The sausage being barely cooked stays juicy when the cooked loaf is sliced and then toasted. The toasted slice goes great under a fried egg. Just thought I'd pass this along since I'm baking bread today and tomorrow. Some sourdough and some white bread with sausage tomorrow, and a loaf of no knead bread tonight. The weather today and tomorrow, being cold and rainy, is perfect for starting a fire, getting the house good and warm, raising dough and baking bread.
Eric

/ Sausage Bread #2  
honestly, i gotta say, i have never heard of sausage bread.

/ Sausage Bread
honestly, i gotta say, i have never heard of sausage bread.
Another first for TBN! That's why this is such a great site. BTW, I had never heard if it before I made it. I just wanted to try it out, thought it would taste good. And it does.
Eric

/ Sausage Bread #5  
I haven't heard of it either. I wonder - is it some ethnic specialty? Like Lute Fisk?

/ Sausage Bread #6  
It was kind of a regular thing for us growing up... all the Italian Bakeries had it... & I remember my mom use to make it from scratch for holidays. We still can (& do) pick it up at multiple bakeries along with pepperoni bread... Our favorite one has roasted peppers & cheese in it with the sausage.

/ Sausage Bread #8  
Many years ago I use to make sausage bread, but like I said, that was MANY years ago.

It was also back when I make my own sausages, corned beef (actually caribou, moose and blk. tailed deer) and hotdogs too...

There's really no trick to making sausage bread, if you can make regular bread...

SR

/ Sausage Bread #9  
That's a new one for me as well. How do you add it? Layer it and roll up the dough? I've only used vegatables and cheese in the breads I've made.

/ Sausage Bread #10  
maybe i should make some with peanut butter and jelly already:D:D in bread.....