Sanity check from you cord cutters

/ Sanity check from you cord cutters
So Sling finally sent the free stuff from when I signed up. Apparently I didn't fill out address fields when I signed up (which I think is odd, most stuff like that doesn't let you complete without filling out all required fields and surely I must have entered a billing address along with my debit card info.....). But anyway, it's on the way. This is from email I go from UPS saying a package is coming:

Capturedsfg.GIF

Apparently Sling is part of DISH Network. Didn't know that.....

/ Sanity check from you cord cutters #112  
Maybe its the dish receiver and satellite kit you'll need for the new package you unknowingly signed up for. :confused3:

That would not surprise me one bit.....$25/mo for Sling + $99/mo for Dish with a 5 yr unbreakable contract buried way in the fine print....... I'd fall for that.....

It's the AirTV player + the RCA indoor antenna. The air player will be in place of a 3rd ROKU stick for guest bedroom and hopefully the RCA brand indoor antenna will perform a little better than the similar type I got from Amazon. If not, a better antenna is next on list so I can get roughly same as you do - although I haven't really felt like anything was "missing" with the 14 OTA stations I get today....

I need to replace our upstairs TV soon too. ugh....it's really old (50" Dell Plasma) so that gives an idea to age since Dell got out of TVs as quickly as they got into them in early - mid-2000's. Up to a 55" will fit. At least they're much, much cheaper now!!! I think even with a smart tv it might make sense to stick with the Roku stick just since that little remote is so simple - I really like it!

What I'm afraid of is how it will look. Most TVs I've seen at people's houses that are about 2yrs old or newer, the picture looks really "off" to me. Hard to describe & people say I'm an idiot for the gripe, but only way I can describe it is "it looks too real". Or movement like someone walking across a room doesn't look natural/smooth or like what it would look like on a somewhat older TV (say from 5-10 yrs ago). Everything looks glossy. I sure don't want to "upgrade" to that!

But the plasma is on it's last legs. Sides are burned in which isn't noticeable unless a pretty bright scene, but it's there & has been for years. Now solid blacks, like the sling menu, there are all kinds of purple flecks showing up. Again, not normally noticeable, but in an overall dark scene it is since it's almost like little purple snowflakes all over the blacks. Guess I'll hav eto go to Best Buy or something & just compare what different ones look like so I don't end up with that "too real" picture I dislike.....

/ Sanity check from you cord cutters #114  
I know I may take a beating for saying it, but TCL with integrated Roku is pretty nice. I have two of them. Check out their 55.

Regular smart tvs suck. Cant upgrade the apps, you're stuck. My last TV was this past Father's day/BDay combo was Vizio 70" without a tuner. Really like the picture. It's smart, but dumb- I use the Roku Ultra on it--wired.

I kept the old Panny Plasma it replaced and wall mounted in the bdrm. That's a really good TV w/ super blacks and actually sounds good.

That's what's in the guest bedroom - Panasonic plasma. I forget size...42" maybe? It was the boy's TV for video games & stuff, but still has great picture & sound.

Funny you mention the TCL - I had never heard about that brand until last night. Was looking around on newegg just to see what TVs cost & saw TCL at crazy low prices for the size. Reviews were all over the map, but very budget-friendly!

Inconsistent backlight and banding issues seem to be the most frequent negatives in online reviews. The backlight for 4 & 5, banding for 5 & 6 series. You have any of those complaints?

I might swing by BB & check one out. Not terribly inconvenient to return there if issues.

How about the ads? Many reviews don't even mention them so guessing they aren't very intrusive?

/ Sanity check from you cord cutters #118  
My Tablo Dual Lite gets fairly warm to the touch. Not hot, but warmer than most electronics get. Is this what others are seeing?

/ Sanity check from you cord cutters #119  
My Tablo Dual Lite gets fairly warm to the touch. Not hot, but warmer than most electronics get. Is this what others are seeing?

Yes, I actually have mine sitting on a small aluminum riser so it can breath underneath. The cabinet it sits on doesn't dissipate heat very well.

/ Sanity check from you cord cutters #120  
Inconsistent backlight and banding issues seem to be the most frequent negatives in online reviews. The backlight for 4 & 5, banding for 5 & 6 series. You have any of those complaints?

I might swing by BB & check one out. Not terribly inconvenient to return there if issues.

How about the ads? Many reviews don't even mention them so guessing they aren't very intrusive?

The two I have are 32's so don't notice the issues you speak of. One in bath gets watched every morning and night and the other is in guest room, hardly ever watched.