Sandblasting Question

/ Sandblasting Question #1  

PitbullMidwest

Platinum Member
Tractor
1998 Kubota L2900GST
Can anyone recommend a low cost (less than $100?) sandblasting unit? I have several small jobs that I'd like to tackle but eventually I'd like to use it to clean up the sheet metal on my FIL's 8n. Since his death, it's been allowed to sit in the weeds and rust with the good-intentioned promise by my BIL that he'll get to it soon.

My MIL told me if I'd clean it up and get it running I could keep it at my house and use it. :)

I found this online but wonder if it's spray pattern is large enough for a project like an 8n. http://www.unitec-mfg.com/speedblaster.htm

Recommendations?

/ Sandblasting Question #2  
An air compressor with proper volume is the first step.

For less inexpesive units most will be an eductor system. The most expensive part of these systems are the nozzle material. I would think all work about the same.

A hood for sandblasting and breathing protection should be the first items on the list.

/ Sandblasting Question #3  
Pitbull,
The link you provided shows what I call touch up blasters. I would recommend a gravity fed hopper type or pressure fed. I got a pressure fed 40LB capacity one at HF for $80 on sale last year. It works pretty well, but the hopper typs gravity fed ones work fine too and are easier to use.
Check harbourfreight.com or northerntool.com.

As was pointed out the most imoportant thing is a big compressor, my compressor is a bit too small and I can only blast for about 10 min or so and have to wait for the compressor to catch up. Of course after 10 min the hood viewport is so fogged up I have to stop anyway :) I personally like the cup wire brush on the angle grinder better where it will fit in.
Always wear a respirator as most of the paint you will be removing has lead in it.

/ Sandblasting Question #4  
I bought mine at Sears, it holds about 50lb bag of sand at a time, which I used to buy at the nearby lumber yard. The finer sand size actually worked faster and took off more paint that the larger, but it seemed to go thru it faster. You will have to stop and let the compressor catch up tho, unless you have access to a big one with an air dryer attached. Wear a respirator for sure, you don't want to get silicosis......

/ Sandblasting Question #5  
I usually use the black blasting slag stuff (fine). I get it at the local tool rental place in town for about $8 for a 90 lb bag. Always sift your blasting medium thru screen wire. And store in a dry place. I put it in 5 gal buckets with lids as I sift it.
Ben

/ Sandblasting Question
Thanks everyone for the replies and info. Now that you've pointed me in the right direction, I have some followup questions:

How quickly is the blast media used up (40/50 lbs = how many minutes of blasting?)

Can the media be swept up, sifted (as Slowrev mentioned) and reused?

Is there a general purpose media you'd recommend?

As you can tell I'm sandblasting ignorant, other than shop films in high school and TV shows I know little about it. Thanks again for the replies.

/ Sandblasting Question #7  
The rate at which it is used depends on the air compressor and nozzle size.

I once tried reusing the media and never did it again.

Here we have a choice of fine/course sand or glass beads.

/ Sandblasting Question #8  
If you have a pressure washer, several companies make sand blasting attachments for them. I have one, and it works like a champ. The water not only cleans the crud off faster, but it eliminates the dust issue. For the hundred you want to spend, you can get one of these attachments. You won't get into serious air blasting for that amount.