Sally Lunn

/ Sally Lunn #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Anyone have a good Sally Lynn bread recipe?

I have been looking at a couple in a 1928 "Southern Cooking" cookbook, Ms S.R. Dull. She had two quick recipes with baking powder, and a regular recipe with yeast.

Trying to decide which to try... had never hear of it before, thought might be fun to try.

/ Sally Lunn #2  
Anyone have a good Sally Lynn bread recipe?

I have been looking at a couple in a 1928 "Southern Cooking" cookbook, Ms S.R. Dull. She had two quick recipes with baking powder, and a regular recipe with yeast.

Trying to decide which to try... had never hear of it before, thought might be fun to try.

Love to bake bread myself, but never heard of Sally Lunn before so I had to check it out. Here's a link to the info and a recipe for Sally Lunn Buns. Heed the comment about the oven temperature, looks like celsius to me.

Murchie's Current Scones | The Fresh Loaf

/ Sally Lunn
I made the quick recipe from the 1928 book. It is good, but all we have at the moment is whole wheat flour; I don't think that was the intent of the recipe. That early cookbook just lists flour. In the bread chapter intro though, they talk about pastry flour as popular in Southern cooking.

/ Sally Lunn #5  
I made the quick recipe from the 1928 book. It is good, but all we have at the moment is whole wheat flour; I don't think that was the intent of the recipe. That early cookbook just lists flour. In the bread chapter intro though, they talk about pastry flour as popular in Southern cooking.

If you are looking for a biscuit type of bread, then the low protein pastry flour should do well. Southern flours are not typically recommended for bread making due to the low protein/gluten content of the flour. All purpose or bread flour are usually recommended. I say this not being familiar with Sally Lunn bread, but reading about Brioche style buns that carry her name.

/ Sally Lunn
I just used what we had; whole wheat flour. Later this week I will try again with bread or all purpose flour, and maybe the yeast recipe :D

All purpose or bread flour are usually recommended. I say this not being familiar with Sally Lunn bread, but reading about Brioche style buns that carry her name.

/ Sally Lunn #7  
I just used what we had; whole wheat flour. Later this week I will try again with bread or all purpose flour, and maybe the yeast recipe :D

I'm sure it will be delicious. I always like to hear when people opt to make their own bread, rather than eat the mass produced store bought bread.
Let us know how it turns out.

/ Sally Lunn
I started baking with my grandmother when I was 5, about 42 years ago. She grew up on a ranch outside Yankton South Dakota, baking bread and rolls every day, on a wood fired stove/oven. I don't bake a lot, but when I do, it is like she is still beside me. Been 15 years since she is gone, and 20 since we baked. Miss that.

Sometimes, we took sweet bread dough, stretched it thin after the first rise, and then fried it in oil. Then, butter, and cinnamon sugar. Then we'd start another batch of dough to finally make the bread...

It is hard to beat the smell of fresh bread right out of the oven, or coffee fresh brewed first thing in the morning :D

I'm sure it will be delicious. I always like to hear when people opt to make their own bread, rather than eat the mass produced store bought bread.
Let us know how it turns out.

/ Sally Lunn #9  
I started baking with my grandmother when I was 5, about 42 years ago. She grew up on a ranch outside Yankton South Dakota, baking bread and rolls every day, on a wood fired stove/oven. I don't bake a lot, but when I do, it is like she is still beside me. Been 15 years since she is gone, and 20 since we baked. Miss that.

Sometimes, we took sweet bread dough, stretched it thin after the first rise, and then fried it in oil. Then, butter, and cinnamon sugar. Then we'd start another batch of dough to finally make the bread...

It is hard to beat the smell of fresh bread right out of the oven, or coffee fresh brewed first thing in the morning :D

Those are some fine memories of time spent with your grandmother. Wish I had started baking bread that early in my life. I only started 10 years ago and just built my wood fired oven last fall (there's a thread buried in the project forum).
I bake sourdough pretty much exclusively now, and love spending the time firing the oven, making the dough and baking the bread. It's a whole day process, but it's very gratifying.

/ Sally Lunn
I have the 1941 version of the cookbook, given to me last year by my surviving Grandmother. She is 98-1/2. My copy is on special war time paper; even has that noted in the front.

Southern Cooking by Mrs. S.R. Dull - Southern Cookbooks - Atlanta Magazine

This is the recipe I made. Yummy, but I want to retry it with bread or general purpose flour, instead of the whole wheat that was all I had in the cupboard when I backed this a couple days ago.

Quick Sally Lunn
1/2 cup butter or shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour, sifted then measured
1 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs

Cream shortening and sugar together well, add eggs one at a time quickly, but well. Sift salt and baking powder with flour. Alternately add milk andflour to egg mixture, mixing quickly with as little stirring as possible until free of lumps and smooth. Pour into deep layer cake pan, bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve hot with butter. This may be baked in large muffin pans for individual Lunns.