Safety chains

/ Safety chains #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
It seems all the trailer I hook up have safety chains that are too long. I usually twist the chain to keep it form dragging on the ground. I worry this will put some funky stresses on the chain and break it should the trailer ever come unhitched. What do you people do with slightly long chains?

/ Safety chains #3  
Have to one big trailer to break any of the chains I use. But, try bungie cords.

/ Safety chains #4  
While twisting chain does weaken it I would not be concerned.

One other option it to replace all chains with coiled cable. This has been the trend on boat trailers for years to buy some long bungee cords, take them apart, and lace then through the chain.

Chris

/ Safety chains #6  
Any elastic method of taking out the slack will not keep them from being too long if the trailer becomes unhitched.

I don't remember which state it was, but one of those I lived in required the tongue to be supported by the chains and not drag the road if unhitched.

Once I saw a trailer unhitch and severely whip around at the end of chains that were about 2 feet too long. Luckily it stayed connected.

Bruce

/ Safety chains #7  
Usually my chains are fine if I cross them (which is good to do anyway). If I tow with the 'burban, which is lower, I have used zip ties or baling wire to hold them up.

/ Safety chains #8  
I usually just use baling wire to wire the excess to the trailer tongue, crossing doesn't always take up the slack. When I've had enough, just cut back what I don't need. LUTT

/ Safety chains
Thanks for the suggestions. I do cross them but that doesn't take out very much length. I would love to see a rig hooked up so the chains would be able to hold the tongue up and still be able to make turns when the trailer is on the hitch. I will try the bungee cord or bailing wire.