SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #31  
I would suggest this one as 10w30 good for winter or summer
Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car Motor Oil SAE 10W-30
or
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil
: Contains 75% higher zinc than SN or SM motor oil 10W30

If diesel oils are so good, why don't car manufacturers recommend their use in gasoline engines? It's because diesel oils fail in one critical area when used in gasoline engines. API-rated diesel CC or CD oils do not meet the engine-cleanliness parameters set for oils rated SF for gasoline engines.

willy

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #32  
I would suggest this one as 10w30 good for winter or summer
Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car Motor Oil SAE 10W-30
or
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil
: Contains 75% higher zinc than SN or SM motor oil 10W30

If diesel oils are so good, why don't car manufacturers recommend their use in gasoline engines? It's because diesel oils fail in one critical area when used in gasoline engines. API-rated diesel CC or CD oils do not meet the engine-cleanliness parameters set for oils rated SF for gasoline engines.

willy
You just answered your own question. Diesel oils don’t fit well with modern gas engines and their emissions equipment.
Nobody is recommending diesel oils for modern gas engines.

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #33  
High zinc content is a must, you can also buy zinc additive from Autozone or one of the others.

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #34  
High zinc content is a must, you can also buy zinc additive from Autozone or one of the others.
I bought a high zinc oil intended for engine building and added a % of it to the oil for my street rod. Nice, modern engine but had flat lifters I needed to protect. I think it was a Lucas product but not positive. I have mentioned it in prior threads so if anyone cared they could search for it.

Anyway, I called the company that makes it and they told me how many ounces to add to my oil to get the desired amount of zinc and whatever else I needed. Worked for me.

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #35  
Yup,
Lucas is one of the products, I have used Joe Gibbs zinc additive also. What amount did Lucas recommend that you use with your flat tappet cam, I also have a flat tappet on my Boss.

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #36  
Yup,
Lucas is one of the products, I have used Joe Gibbs zinc additive also. What amount did Lucas recommend that you use with your flat tappet cam, I also have a flat tappet on my Boss.
It was a bottle of engine startup lube and I think I used 4 ounces. I would call the company because too much ZDDP is as bad as done. I recall--I think--one bottle did 15 quarts of oil but call and check because I didn't write it down.

EDIT--Uh oh. This is what it was.

It was Redline cam break-in oil. Got the recommendation from a top notch pro builder.

Here's a pic...

60781403_L_eff6ff5d-eebe-443c-ba43-bb1398814d24.jpeg

Last edited:
   / SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #37  
Sounds about close to what I thought, I will check before using the lucas.

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #38  
RickB puzlrock said: I would suggest Rotella 15w-40w as it has zinc
It says right on the label HEAVY DUTY DIESEL OIL.

1639254020949.png

willy

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #39  
RickB puzlrock said: I would suggest Rotella 15w-40w as it has zinc
It says right on the label HEAVY DUTY DIESEL OIL.

View attachment 724615
willy
The C123 engine (initially designed in the 1930's) doesn't fit my definition of a modern gasoline engine and doesn't have any features or accessories that might get compromised by a higher viscosity engine oil with diesel oil additives.
And yes, I absolutely did recommend 15w-40 for the OP's Farmall. I have never, ever seen any 15w-40 oil that did not carry a C rating for Diesel engines.

/ SAE 30 or 10W-30 for older IH FARMALL #40  
This all doesnt mean a pinch of shate, put some wet stuff in it. Common car oil is fine and every time it moves up a class they 2x the friction modifiers. I dont think zinc means squat.