Sad duty to perform...

/ Sad duty to perform... #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Very recently, we lost my FIL after a long illness. While it was "a blessing in disguise", as they say, due to how he had deteriorated so much, he is still very much missed by his family.

Among the thousand other things that go on around you when a family has to go through these times, his daughters are left to care for his estate. Part of that estate includes two tractors and various pieces of equipment. Being that he was our first parent to pass away, we really have no experience to draw on as what to do next with those items. So, I figured to good folks on TBN might share some good advice.

There are so many options, I guess it's a little confusing on what to do now. Try to see if local tractor dealers are interested? Ebay? Craigslist? Auction?

What's the best way to determine a decent estimate of their value? What would you do in this situation?

Many thanks,

Lost

/ Sad duty to perform... #2  
Sorry for your lose:(I think most folks around here have an estate auction.Seems to bring many people and items generally sell at higher prices,frees you of the tire kickers and cheats that may try to take advantage of you.Dave

/ Sad duty to perform... #3  
Sorry to hear about your fil passing. If you could post some picks of the equ. with hrs, im shure the tbn family can give you a few starting prices. I would b glad to look it up and give you a price. Then put it on creigs list and c what happens.

Jeremy

/ Sad duty to perform... #4  
   / Sad duty to perform... #5  
I guess it depends on what you want to do. If there is a lot of stuff that you have no interest in staying in the family, auctions are fast and relatively easy. If you want time to make decisions, you can always use Kijiji, ebay etc to sell individual pieces but you will end up with all the leftovers. With only one "parent" out of five left , If I had it to do over again I would have joint accounts and transfer ownership of most assets to one sibling or the other half of the couple prior to the actual event so that disposal was trouble free and title would not be an issue. In terms of the value, if you are sentimental what you get is never enough, --if you are not, you will be surprised at what people will pay for junk!

/ Sad duty to perform... #6  
Around here a lot of people do estate auctions. Call around and see if you can get the best price. The good thing about them is that if a relative wants a piece of equipment or if two want it they can bid on it, after all is said and done you can split what you made. It solves a lot of fighting.
It also shows why you need a will. Not somethign to think about but when my mom died suddenly of cancer, went from healty to hospice in less then 6 mts, we were glad she had the will it made a horrible situation less stressful.

/ Sad duty to perform... #7  
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I think an auction will bring the best prices for the most items.
"Bidding fever" is ugly as all heck from the buyers' POV, but would be to your advantage as a seller.
Not to sound callous, but the bottom line is probably that you want as much for "it all" as you can get, not just the few major items.
Selling piece meal would drag it on and on, probably best to get it over with.
Holding an auction with the MAJOR items as the attractions would get the idle and curious folk there who will probably bid $10 or $20 for the little stuff that they wouldn't actually GO there for.
Lots of little stuff adds up, but the two tractors and implements are what will bring folk in, so selling those first would leave you without much to draw folk in to buy everything else.
So you could be faced with a whole season of yard sales to dispose of the rest.

/ Sad duty to perform... #8  
When our neighbor died, his children had a professional auctioneer come in and sell everything.

They got much better prices than what I expected, although there were a few items which went for bargain prices, on the whole it was more than anticipated. And, best of all, it all happened in two days of auction, with a lot of work being done by the auctioneer. Don't underestimate the value of this. If a survivor has to sell each item individually on craigslist or ebay, it can take a long time and will be emotionally draining.

The neighbor had lots and lots of stuff, and it would have taken more than a year to sell it off one piece at a time. Who would do it, and what would they get paid are the questions that split families.

/ Sad duty to perform...
Around here a lot of people do estate auctions. Call around and see if you can get the best price. The good thing about them is that if a relative wants a piece of equipment or if two want it they can bid on it, after all is said and done you can split what you made. It solves a lot of fighting.
It also shows why you need a will. Not somethign to think about but when my mom died suddenly of cancer, went from healty to hospice in less then 6 mts, we were glad she had the will it made a horrible situation less stressful.

Fortunately, no fighting here. Only survivors are the two adult daughters, and they have been very agreeable on what each hopes to keep as far as sentimental items. No will, but like I said, they are both on the same page.

/ Sad duty to perform...
When our neighbor died, his children had a professional auctioneer come in and sell everything.

They got much better prices than what I expected, although there were a few items which went for bargain prices, on the whole it was more than anticipated. And, best of all, it all happened in two days of auction, with a lot of work being done by the auctioneer. Don't underestimate the value of this. If a survivor has to sell each item individually on craigslist or ebay, it can take a long time and will be emotionally draining.

Emotionally draining is a pretty good description. After 5 weeks in the hospital, complete with a series of ups and downs (the "ups" being just enough to hope that he might turn the corner), followed by funeral arraignments, visitation, funeral, hospital bills...there's hardly been time for real mourning.

There's no particular hurry to do anything with the property at this point. And it will probably be some time before the girls are ready to move forward with it. But when they do, they typically come to me for suggestions. So I feel like its a small thing to offer what little I can do to find out what suggestions I can give them when the time comes.

Auction seems to stand out to me as the least hassle to the family. With auction, can a "reserve" or minimum price be set for each item? No one is expecting to get rich here, but I'd hate to see the man's legacy disappear for pennies on the dollar.

I suppose having a tractor dealer purchase the whole lot at a fair price would be even less hassle, but I don't know how commonly that occurs, if ever.