Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #71  
Failures with a stretch strap are always the user's fault. Every time.

Failures with a chain, hitch point, etc., are always the user's fault. Every time.

I know some guys that should never run a road grader. And it's not the road grader's fault. :)

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #72  
EVERYTHING wrong in this video!!
Can skip the first minute and a half.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #74  
Refer post #71.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #75  
That Ram had a nice bumper.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #76  
I know people say nylon straps absorb shock [...]
They do, that's kind of the problem. They don't necessarily hold onto it forever.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #77  
They do, that's kind of the problem. They don't necessarily hold onto it forever.
I haven't studied it much but there are two kinds of straps; one just pulls while the other stores kinetic energy, and keeps pulling when the tension is released. I also have seen a tecnique with two chains, and a steel belted tire between them to absorb the snap.
From what I remember of the accident in this discussion though is that none of the above would have mattered; what failed is the drop hitch on one of the vehicles.
It sucks, they were just out having a good time. Nobody deserved what happened.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #78  
I haven't studied it much but there are two kinds of straps; one just pulls while the other stores kinetic energy, and keeps pulling when the tension is released. I also have seen a tecnique with two chains, and a steel belted tire between them to absorb the snap.
From what I remember of the accident in this discussion though is that none of the above would have mattered; what failed is the drop hitch on one of the vehicles.
It sucks, they were just out having a good time. Nobody deserved what happened.
Without going back and researching this, I'm pretty sure there was a strap of some kind involved. I don't think chains would have thrown that hitch into the cab of the pulled truck like that. But again, I might be mistaken.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #79  
One of the things that one needs to discuss is how in the heck does one get their vehicle buried up to the axles in the middle of the desert?

index.php

index.php

We don't know a lot about the situation, but there is a point where one must stop what one's doing and look for another way out.

Of course driving through the biggest mud holes doesn't help either, when he may have been able to simply drive around it.

Sitting in the pickup and spinning the tires as the pickup sinks into the goo doesn't help, and makes recovery much more difficult.

The photo with the pickup shows a bunch of fairly superficial footprints, so the mud doesn't appear to have been that deep The one after the pickup was extracted shows very focal deep pits right around the two left wheels, so likely quite a bit of spinning.

Once there is no forward or backward progress, turn off the engine, get out the winch, or call for help.

Unfortunately there don't appear to be any trees as far as the eye can see. There is a power line, but too far away to be of much help unless one has a mile worth of straps.

A shovel can help reduce the slope in front of the axles, or even around the differentials.

The recovery vehicle apparently tried to make multiple attempts to pull him out, then came up with the idea of the full speed "kinetic" recovery.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #80  
The rescue vehicle had a connection to his trailer ball hitch. Possibly the pin sheared and it came back through the Windshield and killed the driver. I believe there was a child in the cab too.
NEVER hook to a Ball receiver. Special tow apparatus is available using solid bar and strengthened pin. Sand turns to Mud/quicksand with water. Suction forms under the stuck vehicle. Watch Matts Towing....