Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw

/ Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
My Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw always confused me and I wondered what that extra meant. Today I found the original information from when I bought the saw and posted pics below. I'm near certain the "extra" means "I" and that it's a 115i saw. Good, and powerful, firewood saw. FYI

IMG_7994.JPG IMG_7995.JPG IMG_7996.JPG IMG_7997.JPG

/ Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw #2  
Dolmar is now owned by Makita. I was just at an Echo Dealer who knew his saws yet knew almost nothing of the Dolmar/Makita Saws. Not sure if that is the route I want to go for my next saw. I will repair my Stihl 036 when I find a Donor saw, but will probably buy an Echo 051 with five year warranty.

/ Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw
Dolmar is now owned by Makita. I was just at an Echo Dealer who knew his saws yet knew almost nothing of the Dolmar/Makita Saws. Not sure if that is the route I want to go for my next saw. I will repair my Stihl 036 when I find a Donor saw, but will probably buy an Echo 051 with five year warranty.

My 115 is probably 23 years old and I'm pretty sure is German made. One of the best saws I have ever owned and cuts like crazy. I find it far superior to what I see today. I know of the Makita thing and I think they've owned Dolmar for may 30 ? years. I wonder if the Dolmar/Makita of today is ..ugh..Chinese made?

ECHO bought out Japanese Shindaiwa and I'll bet they make a great homeowner saw. My Shindiawa and ECHO things are excellent. No chain saws though. Love your signature.

/ Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw #4  
NO, Apparently they are still German made and have the distinction of every saw being made my one individual. Good or Bad? Maybe you get the saw made by the new guy or the old guy with bad eyesight. Just sayin.

I just wrecked my Stihl 036 that I also got twenty or so years ago. I am told, I cannot replace that saw! It is what put Stihl on the map, I am told. Good saw, except it always sat in a puddle of chain oil. The new stuff? Apparently junk by comparison.

NO, Apparently they are still German made and have the distinction of every saw being made my one individual. Good or Bad? Maybe you get the saw made by the new guy or the old guy with bad eyesight. Just sayin.

I just wrecked my Stihl 036 that I also got twenty or so years ago. I am told, I cannot replace that saw! It is what put Stihl on the map, I am told. Good saw, except it always sat in a puddle of chain oil. The new stuff? Apparently junk by comparison.

I just looked up a 6000 series Makita Dolmar and the label in the picture did indeed say Made in Germany. If true, that's terrific.

/ Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw #6  
You last picture of the 115 extra literature says injection type carb for easy starting.

That is earmark for the "i" saws.

But odd they list the extra at 2.6kw and the 115i at 2.7

You last picture of the 115 extra literature says injection type carb for easy starting.

That is earmark for the "i" saws.

But odd they list the extra at 2.6kw and the 115i at 2.7

Do you know if current Makita/Dolmar saws are made in Germany?

/ Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw #8  
Do you know if current Makita/Dolmar saws are made in Germany?

Cant really answer that question. My newest saw is still ~6 or 7 years old. I "assume" made in germany.....but not 100% certain. Wouldnt change my mind any either way. And even if it is made in Germany......can one even be sure that it is? I am sure they all probably source parts, handles, dawgs, bars, sparkplugs, etc from all over the world.

Heck, I swear by Milwaukee fuel cordless tools. Best there is IMO, but....believe it or not they are made in china

I just learned there is a "chainsaw" forum here. Can someone move this thread to chainsaws?

/ Sachs-Dolmar 115 "Extra" saw #10  
I just learned there is a "chainsaw" forum here. Can someone move this thread to chainsaws?

Done. ;)

On an administrative note, if you need assistance with something on TBN, there's a little triangular icon with an exclamation point in it in the lower left of any post. It's called the "report post" button. If you hit that, it'll give you a little box to put the reason you want in. Then submit it, and the moderators will be notified and take a look. Much better than posting a reply in a thread that a moderator might not be reading. :thumbsup:

Please continue the original discussion. ;)