SA424 Transmission leak

/ SA424 Transmission leak #1  

MACflyer

Tractor
Yanmar SA424
My 424 has developed a slight leak which I believe is coming from the seal where the rear axle mates to the transmission. The picture shows the leak and the spot it leaves on the ground after one night. Transmission fluid is not overfilled. I've only had the tractor 15 months and it's got about 210 hours on it. I was wondering if this is a known issue or not. I don't want to have my machine tied up for warranty work at the dealer in the middle of summer, does anyone see any issue with monitoring the fluid level and running it until winter?

Attachments

• PXL_20220620_142941466.jpg
    PXL_20220620_142941466.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 114
  • PXL_20220617_184929579.jpg
    PXL_20220617_184929579.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20220617_184859705.jpg
    PXL_20220617_184859705.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 111
   / SA424 Transmission leak #2  
Are all the bolts around the seam torqued to spec? You could try to tighten them, but check with the dealer first to see if it would be ok to do yourself.

The cases / bolts are painted after assembly, so if you go tighten them, the paint 'seal' will be broken on the bolts..... the dealer technically could say you messed with the case and void a warranty repair.

That amount is not catastrophic, but you must really watch the fluid levels. If it would blow out the gasket, it could drain out much faster.... then you know what might happen. Be careful and check often if you do use it that way.

/ SA424 Transmission leak #3  
MACflyer, Keep in mind Yanmar can be difficult to get warranty on leaks, seals & etc. If you ever do get one of those, you have to be assertive with them. On your leak, there isn't a gasket where the leak is, the housing and axle housing are fitted and use a sealant between them. If I remember correctly you can remove the bolts and pull the axle back a little to clean the old stuff off, I'll ck & let you know for sure, if not there is a snap ring you have to remove to get the whole assy. off. Also ck the bearing and make sure there isn't any string & etc wrapped around the axle and making its way into the seal. That leak will drip a small amount as you indicated, just keep an eye on it.

/ SA424 Transmission leak
MACflyer, Keep in mind Yanmar can be difficult to get warranty on leaks, seals & etc. If you ever do get one of those, you have to be assertive with them. On your leak, there isn't a gasket where the leak is, the housing and axle housing are fitted and use a sealant between them. If I remember correctly you can remove the bolts and pull the axle back a little to clean the old stuff off, I'll ck & let you know for sure, if not there is a snap ring you have to remove to get the whole assy. off. Also ck the bearing and make sure there isn't any string & etc wrapped around the axle and making its way into the seal. That leak will drip a small amount as you indicated, just keep an eye on it.
I don't have the equipment to lift the tractor, so anything beyond checking for loose bolts (they're tight) will be a trip to the dealer unfortunately.