russian oil mine truckers

/ russian oil mine truckers #3  
Thats some serious trucking. I would have liked to see some better photos of how those trucks are set up.

MakV

/ russian oil mine truckers #4  
I impressed on how well the trucks are still holding together from all that flexing and twisting. however they seemed to have much more sense then we do when stuck. They don't spin tires like maniacs and try to keep a steady pace.

/ russian oil mine truckers
These are Russian Kamaz trucks, the brand that holds the top 3 positions in this years Dakar rally.
Ginaf of Holland, is a special purpose truck builder. They built 50 trucks with independent suspension, to legislate this series as a commercial truck, to be able to compete in the rally, because only commercially available production trucks are allowed (with modifications like larger turbos, suspension bellows, air filters etcetera )
Despite Kamaz running merely stock production trucks, it still holds the 1st 3 positions.

I thought this was because Kamaz offers more money to the winners, and these poor russian drivers value their life less than other participants so they are willing to take more risks to get that bait...

However, the 4th position is held by a Liaz, a czech truckmaker which is defunct since 2003... So this is certainly not a factory team.

It really wonders me why these Ginaf trucks cant take pole positions, even though they cheat badly by producing 50 rally trucks to legsilate it as a production model, though they have them still in stock... they are maybe 5 times more expensive than these Kamaz but they cant seem to win ?? I guess it all comes down to experience :D

/ russian oil mine truckers #8  
We sold a lot of Tatras to Siberia in days past. I messed with something similar to this in military, lot of fun. We have done exercise with one wheel off and it was almost as capable with one wheel missing.

/ russian oil mine truckers #9  
We sold a lot of Tatras to Siberia in days past. I messed with something similar to this in military, lot of fun. We have done exercise with one wheel off and it was almost as capable with one wheel missing.

I'd say that is pretty impressive trucks! Did one follow you home ? ;)

/ russian oil mine truckers
Tatra won the dakar rally in a row, during the 80's.... Right now its Kamaz. I'm still not sure what makes the difference between 30 year old soviet tech, and the million dollar Ginaf rally trucks, which are built for rally purposes alone and cost lost of R&D as well..

Tatra still takes part but from privately funded teams that dont have the factories financial backup...