Rural internet (look ma no wires)

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #1  

PBMAX

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC21D
Hey all,

Boy have I got catch up reading....

Ok, has anyone out here looked into the new 2way internet satalite systems? That are now available in most areas.The parrent co is at www.starband.com

They claim a min of 150k down loads even during heavy traffic hrs and as high as 500k during off peak hrs.Sounds good,but the equipment here in bama is $400 plus $200 to install and it must be installed. They will not do "do it yourself kits".Since the sat. transmitts and recieves the FCC apparently has put there foot down.

The service package they are currently offering is $99 a month for both always on internet and there 150 chnl package for the TV.Bit steep I guess but were I'm building cable isn't available and they have no plans to bring it in. So I have to go sat. for the tube.Just trying to decide if I should do both....The local phone service is dated and slow since it's both an older system and I'm miles from the nearest switch...The access speeds according to the soon to be neighbors is pretty slow...

Any ideas???

Lil' Paul
Proud new owner of TC21D
Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #2  
Paul

I looked into this due to our rural slow 28,800 phone connection. As I understand it, the catch is that you can only RECEIVE from a satellite and not transmit to it. Therefore you still have to use the slow phone line to transmit data. Maybe www.starband.com is new techinology? What I'm talking about is using a large C-band or small digital dish like those used for Direct or Dish TV?

Due to the cost and complexity of satellite I decided to stick with the slow 28800 connection.

Chuck in IN

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #3  
Chuck,

Paul has it correct as far as I know. I own one of the dishes you refer to, the Hughes Direct-Duo. gives me internet capability and DTV. I don't currently use the internet connection part of it (use ISDN)

The "next generation" does in fact involve a dish that can send and receive. I don't know much more information than that, but as an owner of the receive only type, it has caught my interest.

Regards
Richard

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #4  
PBurns

I looked up the website and this service is two-way. I use the DirecPC system which is one-way. You download via satilite and upload through the phone. Its cumbersom- I must use two ISP because DirecPC does not have a local access number.
The StarBand is legit and the first on two systems to come online. DirecPC will soon have two-way as well. Dish Network and Microsoft are involved with Starband. Think it would be a good choice if you cannot get DSL service.

Rick

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #5  
Richard,

Yes, I checked that site and Paul is correct. It completely bypasses the phone company and can send as well as receive! According to the site you can buy this stuff at Radio Shack so it's not a fly-by-night operation either.

I personally don't like to be a bleeding-edge techno-pioneer so I will check back into this in a couple years when the technology will have been a marketing flop or at least the prices will be lower. Does sound like a good alternative for we folks out in the boondocks who want faster internet access than copper phone lines can provide.

Chuck in IN

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires)
All,
A friend in the PC business here has the Direct pc and says it's still better than the phone line when your way out( he averages 66k instead of the local 28k ).I read through the starband site just today it looks cool and as they say this has been available on a commercial level for a while back even to the C band days according to some I've talked to locally....The reason I called it a parrent co is, that they are allowing DirectPC and Dishnetwork to use the system as well.The DirPC system which is at Rshack & MSN now,but requires you to buy a Compaq PC that is set up with DUAL Net work cards no choice and is around $1200.

I was thinking about getting the one of the other two since they come with a Satalite USB modem and I figure that would be easier to deal with if problems pop up down the road .Besides I preffer to build my own PC's.I'm not big on the prices of off the shelf PC makers want for upgrade and replacement components.

AS for the DirectPc that uses the phone it would be equal to or cheaper to go 2way and get better speeds. For the following...Local land line $31 area calling $36(or call long distance to B'ham 25 ml away) direct pc $20 thats what about $90 amonth and I would still have to get a sat package or stick with rabbit ears for the tube....DSL is a no chance according to the phone co engineers......I'm way to far out on the system.Plus since I work for a Cell phone co I can skip the local land line and save $$.

RAllen,How do like the speed and reliability of the direct pc?Do you think you would like the new system?

Lil' Paul
Proud new owner of TC21D
Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #7  
This is wierd. Just today I was reading a review (PC Magazine, maybe?) of this at the doctor's waiting room. Never heard of it before.
The review said the target market is exactly people like you; really, no alternative. They also said that the speeds appeared to be as advertised - up to 500k up and 150k down. The also said the company is trying to average ~350k upload and ~50k download. The price the reviewer paid, per month, was (I think) $59 for data only - no TV. I figure that isn't all that bad when you consider their target audience has no choice.

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
18-26750-markcg2000.gif

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #8  
I may look into this, I have no cable and the fastest connection I have ever got was 26,400.

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #9  
Well guys, never thought my business would actually show up on the tractor forum. But here it is. I'm in this satellite business, but not with either of the two companies you mentioned. Yes, those two are first. Like many "firsts", they are less than optimum and at premium prices. If you can stand to wait, or you can get in without a long committment and without a big up front costs, I can assure you that there will be several competing systems over the next year or so. You will see better performance and lower costs as the next generation systems hit the street. My company is not in the "service" business like those two, we build the equipment for several competing companies. Again, wait if you can. If you can't wait, resign yourself to upgrading within two years.

Larry...

/ Rural internet (look ma no wires) #10  
My next door neighbor sells and installs dishes for a company that used DirectTV. He told me he is going to school near the end of January for this new 2-way DirectPC. The school is somewhere in Boston or Newyork city, can't remember exactly where. He is keeping me posted on what is going on. Basically I have heard what you guys have heard. Also I found a link for DirectPC. Some of the links don't work yet but the FAQ has some good info. I am also looking at this 2-way setup for faster speeds than a phone line. If I come up with more I'll post it.

Derek