Rural Internet & Cell Phones

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #51  
seriously?

none of your statement is true.

1. att and verizon are not using 600mhz for their 5g. i explained that, if you would have read my entire post.
2. t-mobile developed 5g for a higher capacity bandwidth that carries more data at a farther distance. it does this by "lengthening" the frequency wave of the transmission. then they tune that wave into the old UHF tv system that they have registered with the FCC.
3. 4g LTE isn't downgraded. the frequency wave can only carry 1.3 Gb of data.
4. 1500 ft? just stop... i live 10 miles from my closest 5g tower.

please educate yourself, before you spread any more inaccurate information. because of consumer ignorance, att and verizon can advertise that they have 5g.
Oh Boy, Never mind.

Last edited:
   / Rural Internet & Cell Phones #53  
For those of you in the rural areas without cable or don't like satelite internet, Verizon has a "rural wi-fi router" that takes the cell signal, converts it to wi-fi and broadcasts it all thru your house. I think it can take up to 20 (?) devices at once.

We've had it for over a year now, and it works pretty well. Don't think I could do House of Thrones gaming on it, but for email, streaming TV and movies it works better than anything else we've tried. Costs about $60/month

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #54  
ratpie wrote "here is a great old article (2017) that touches on what i was saying earlier"

I'm not in the US, but well understand slow rural speeds which has only improved with affordability of mobile phone plans with lots of data.

The 5G issue ...

How fast is Band 71?

In most of the country, T-Mobile has either 15+15 or 20+20 MHz of spectrum, which should deliver good speeds, but it depends on how far apart T-Mobile puts the towers. We think 10-20Mbps will be the norm. Band 71 can't yet be "aggregated" with other bands to provide super-fast connectivity, but that will come on new phones next year.

The second link suggests C span 5G will be 10x faster than 4G LTE ... so it's supposedly twice as fast as regular 4G

Verizon claims its C-Band 5G is up to 10 times faster than 4G LTE, with download speeds that have exceeded 1 Gbps in some areas.

5G Download Comparison

Download Activity3G
(2Mbps)
4G
(38Mbps)
5G
(760Mbps)
1GB SD Movie 1 hr 12 mins4 mins11 sec
3GB HD Movie3 hr 35 mins11 mins33 sec
100GB 4K Movie119 hrs 18 mins6 hrs 17 mins19 mins
50GB Game59 hrs 39 mins3 hrs 8 mins 9 mins
20GB Game23 hrs 52 mins1 hr 15 mins4 mins
3.5MB Song14 secondsInstantlyInstantly
5MB E-Book20 seconds1 secondInstantly

I actually use 3g (4g plan but the phone sim is actually in a non 4g device) and can get at times 1.7mB/s, 1.1mB/s is common, with the carrier I use, other more popular carriers don't care if they only deliver 350kB/s on average.

I kept my dial up account just in case and only a month or two ago the company wrote and said it was being phased out. I was using dial up at 3kB/s well into 2014, I'd used a few mobile data packages from 2009 or so, but they were very expensive compared to what I could afford and limited speeds ... for a long time I refereed to it my area as mobile dial up.

As a side note - coping with very slow speeds or next to none data:

I learned late, and wish I had known many years prior when I had little data to pick up large software programs free on the net, as well as data archives with large collections of non copyright pdf and other material, such as what can be found at archive.org Free wifi hotspots may exist in the area, such as provided by the local public library, which have good downloading bandwidth (above 500kB/s) can be used via smart phones ... or a laptop with wifi. Still even in 2017 being able to spend a couple of hours at a hot spot and retrieve 5 gigs of files was a big deal for me.

I used to start off with a file of links I wanted to visit copying one at a time over to the browser downloader ... it's tedious hard work, and not all files worked. I then started using a better tool to organise downloads. Then the holy grail, an online server with command line tools, that even over a slow connection I could visit archive.org let programs download from various sites which wouldn't allow me to max out a free hotspot's speed on offer, so later on visiting the hotspot I could then download from the server at very high speeds. (If there was a great connection, I could get 10mB/s ... I'm stoked at 2.5mB/s)

Server command line tools seem hard, (well to me at the moment) but after a while tools like wget and aria2c get easy. I just file in a text file what I'm doing, and then copy paste while changing the link.

Last edited:
   / Rural Internet & Cell Phones #55  
ratpie wrote "here is a great old article (2017) that touches on what i was saying earlier"

I'm not in the US, but well understand slow rural speeds which has only improved with affordability of mobile phone plans with lots of data.

The 5G issue ...

The second link suggests C span 5G will be 10x faster than 4G LTE ... so it's supposedly twice as fast as regular 4G

I actually use 3g (4g plan but the phone sim is actually in a non 4g device) and can get at times 1.7mB/s, 1.1mB/s is common, with the carrier I use, other more popular carriers don't care if they only deliver 350kB/s on average.

I kept my dial up account just in case and only a month or two ago the company wrote and said it was being phased out. I was using dial up at 3kB/s well into 2014, I'd used a few mobile data packages from 2009 or so, but they were very expensive compared to what I could afford and limited speeds ... for a long time I refereed to it my area as mobile dial up.

As a side note - coping with very slow speeds or next to none data:

I learned late, and wish I had known many years prior when I had little data to pick up large software programs free on the net, as well as data archives with large collections of non copyright pdf and other material, such as what can be found at archive.org Free wifi hotspots may exist in the area, such as provided by the local public library, which have good downloading bandwidth (above 500kB/s) can be used via smart phones ... or a laptop with wifi. Still even in 2017 being able to spend a couple of hours at a hot spot and retrieve 5 gigs of files was a big deal for me.

I used to start off with a file of links I wanted to visit copying one at a time over to the browser downloader ... it's tedious hard work, and not all files worked. I then started using a better tool to organise downloads. Then the holy grail, an online server with command line tools, that even over a slow connection I could visit archive.org let programs download from various sites which wouldn't allow me to max out a free hotspot's speed on offer, so later on visiting the hotspot I could then download from the server at very high speeds. (If there was a great connection, I could get 10mB/s ... I'm stoked at 2.5mB/s)

Server command line tools seem hard, (well to me at the moment) but after a while tools like wget and aria2c get easy. I just file in a text file what I'm doing, and then copy paste while changing the link.
what i am seeing and experiencing is that it's in the 20 +20 most days, but there are 2 radios in the internet gateway device, so i think it is doubling that speed by splitting traffic, simultaneously. there are also multimedia boosters, that trick the network into force feeding the file, to mitigate against video buffering.here is a real time 4.3 GB download. no frills. just data.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-02-27 13-56-38.png
    Screenshot from 2022-02-27 13-56-38.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 34
   / Rural Internet & Cell Phones #56  
I kept my dial up account just in case and only a month or two ago the company wrote and said it was being phased out.
I didn't know that was still being used. Years ago when I spent most of my time working out of motels, I used dial up a lot, sometimes via a prepaid phone card if there was no toll free access nearby. Now it's all wifi, except we've been asked not to use it for security reasons.

/ Rural Internet & Cell Phones #57  
re ratpie

Yes from reading, they had a broader bandwidth they could use, which means more "channels" which new ways lets the connection use a few simultaneously ... that's about my limit of understanding unless I immersed myself in it for a day or so.

Your isps might call 2mB/s OK on a 5G network ... but if the alternative is next to nothing 2mB/s is good as long as one is being charged a rate to reflect poor speeds, most telcos our way don't even though they've been jumped on for signing people up promising high speeds only to deliver meh.

I know I have a mere 3g connection through an old device, 1.7 mB/s is pretty cool for a download speed, 1.2 - 1.4 mB/s is more common form that mobile phone provider. Others in the game here really get over 800kB/s and 300 to 400 kB/s more the norm.

re Jstpssng
Https is supposed to be "secure" but it's somehow possible for someone to play "man in the middle" and be able to look view raw data.

If security is an issue, one can use a ssh server, and use it for the internet tunnel to the web, while not as fast as a straight connection, it is usually fast enough to surf, stay encrypted and hide activity from the wifi hotspot provider and anyone snooping hoping to catch password details and whatnot.

Last edited:
   / Rural Internet & Cell Phones #58  
I know I have a mere 3g connection through an old device, 1.7 mB/s is pretty cool for a download speed, 1.2 - 1.4 mB/s is more common form that mobile phone provider. Others in the game here really get over 800kB/s and 300 to 400 kB/s more the norm.

i was getting a game from steam night before last at 7.3 mB/s. blew my mind.

if they can address the latency issues, and the poor security, this is gonna be legit for us RURALtonians! (since all of those starlink nodes dropped from the sky due to a solar flare. rip elon)