Running without muffler

/ Running without muffler #1  

lanschuetz

Tractor
Kubota B6200
Per another thread, my muffler fell off on my B6200. Not a big surprise really since the muffler on there was an aftermarket "fits-all" muffler. Since the machine had been outside for quite a while and this exhaust points straight up with no rain-protector, I found this to be expected behavior.

New one is on order, but not yet in - welder is on standby waiting to put it on. But, since my lawn really does need cut, is it OK for the engine to do a lawn cut without a muffler attached? This is with a 5 foot MMM, total time about 2 hours. I know this can be very bad on modern gas engines, but my guess is that it is less critical with small diesels (other than the noise factor). Any input appreciated.

Picture enclosed this time too :)

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 701
   / Running without muffler #2  
I was told a long time ago that if you run an engine (gas) without the exhaust system in place that you stand a chance of the valves cooling too rapidly and warping the valve shafts. May or may not be true. I remember dragsters having plugs for the pipes to keep the colder air out. It would seem likely the same would be true of any engine. I wouldn't chance it.

/ Running without muffler #3  
An iron manafold is plenty enough heat protection for the valves.

However the noise factor may be prohibitive. 2 hours with out a muffler on a B6200 would be deafening.

You can wait. Your hearing is worth it.

/ Running without muffler #4  
lanschuetz said:
New one is on order, but not yet in - welder is on standby waiting to put it on. But, since my lawn really does need cut, is it OK for the engine to do a lawn cut without a muffler attached? (other than the noise factor). Any input appreciated.

I would wait. Your hearing will be ruined (hearing loss is cumulative and you can never get it back)
And I think most gas engines need some backpressure to keep the air/fuel mixture correct. Hate to see your valves ruined or worse.
Bob

/ Running without muffler #5  
I don't think you'd hurt anything but I couldn't run it. I would have to match the exhaust length, muffler or no. Tune the exhaust, so to speak.

As for the hearing loss, those comments on cummulative are dead on. Still love open exhaust though. Not much compares to standing beside a nitro car when they lite the tires or launch. That is an experience for the senses. Two hours of small diesel with open exhaust though.... punishment.

/ Running without muffler #6  
Well it certainly wont run that well out of tune, Pops and backfires on an older machine won't help it along in its twilight years. I would be good to it if its been good to you. I would rent or borrow or call a landsscaper for a 1 time cut

/ Running without muffler #7  
Hearing loss is a big deal, but that's what ear plugs or over the ear hearing protectors are for. If the neighbors aren't close enough to complain, cut your lawn. It won't hurt the tractor any.

/ Running without muffler #8  
Diesels are completely different than gas engines. An open exhaust will not effect the tune. The valves won't be a problem when running. If you are worried idle cool or/and stuff a damp rag or ball in the exhaust when ya shut it down. As mentioned, the cast manifold is really all it needs. Hearing protection is a good thing, muffler or not. Go ahead and mow, just not before/after 8.

/ Running without muffler
It all became moot moments before I went to cut the lawn when new muffler suddently showed up. Mismatched pipe sizes by 1/8th, but a quick weld job put that to right.

Tractor sounds better, runs better (lower RPM for same power). I suspect the old muffler was actually quite plugged up - though functional. I guess you shouldn't expect more than 10-20 years on them :rolleyes:

I'm also glad to see the consensus is the same as the advice I got from neighbors - won't hurt a thing (other than hearing). Considering the size of the engine, however, with/without muffler is no more than a 6dB change - though the frequency is sweeter.

But all this leads to a new question. Since installing the new muffler on startup I get a cloud of white/grey smoke. It immediately dissipates and while running there is no smoking - even under load. Starts great, runs great - no water in oil, no oil in water (i.e. I suspect no head-gasket problem). I think I read somewhere that this might mean I need a glo-plug, though it does this even on a medium warm start without using any pre-heat. The little engine has 750 hours and, like I said, works great.

As someone new to both diesels and tractors, I realize these might be dumb questions, but figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

PS: On a completely unrelated topic(!).... I'm looking for a smallish rear blade (4 foot is probably all this will do) for snow removal on my driveway area. So do I push the snow (i.e. drive backwards) or pull the snow (drive forwards)? I suspect I want to leave the MMM on for weight since it has turf tires and use 4WD. Thoughs welcome.

PPS: Will this pull a 4' rear tiller or am I asking too much (it's a B6200)? A neighbor has one, but his Kubota is a slighter bigger model. Yes, I was the last person in my neighborhood to buy a Kubota. :D