Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple

/ Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple #1  

dirtymartini

Silver Member
Tractor
LS R4047 FEL & Backhoe
Probably a noob question but here goes...I want to run hydraulic hoses from my rear remote to my FEL on my LS R4047 so I can use a grapple. What diameter should I use? 1/2 or could I go smaller? I would like to 90 degree out of my rear remote, do they make a 90 degree fitting or do I need to do some plumbing work? Any other considerations?

/ Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple #2  
1/2 - 3/8 should be fine. I would think about taking the time to "weave" your new lines through the tractor (so that they are protected) to a point by the loader arms where they pivot and then down the "arms" to a point by the bucket and just stay there. At the (front) end put a pair of quick couplers. At the rear remotes, just 90* or 45* (depending on what you need) with a fitting between the remote coupler & the new hose. This way your lines will be there, and at this point you'll just plug in your grapple at the front, and be able to "unplug" the rear for other uses. It's a little hard determinating hose legnth, too short is?…..too short, and too long can make a mess. I use a air (compressor) hose (from point a to b) and watch for too tight of a bend, rubbing, and hot things, etc. to measure difficult hose routing. 1 wire (3000psi) hose is a bit more flexable than 2 wire and that should be all you need. Make a list and check it 3 times, better yet draw a simple "schematic" listing every fitting & hose. I try very hard to make a complete order but usually end up missing something. Right now I'm waiting for an order:laughing:
If you havn't, check out Surplus Center
I like them.

/ Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple #3  
I used 1/4" hose and it was easy to route and the speed of the grabber cyl is just right. My cyl is a 2".

/ Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple #4  
1/4" is perfect, the small cylinder on the grapples do not demand a lot of flow, and its cheaper and easier to route as well. 3/8" is fine also, but 1/2" is ridiculous. Yes they make 90's and 45's if you need them-make sure they are rated for hydraulic use and not for household plumbing.

/ Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple
I used 1/4" hose and it was easy to route and the speed of the grabber cyl is just right. My cyl is a 2".

Thanks for the replies so far...I have an EverythingAttachments 60" single lid grapple on order. I have a local supplier who has been in the Hydraulic Hose business for a long time and has a good reputation, I'll probably give them a shot. Will they just crimp a 90* fitting on the remote ends?

/ Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple #6  
Will they just crimp a 90* fitting on the remote ends?

I like a seperate 90* fitting. There's a good chance that the fitting will break rather than a straight hose end, making for a cheaper repair. You will eventually snag something and have a hose repair to do.

/ Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple #7  
I ran 1/2 inch, thinking I would run a hydraulic motor at some point on the front. I have never done that so far. 3/8 or even 1/4 would be fine for a small grapple lid cylinder. The 1/2 was harder to route. I "got-er-done", but I would not do it that way again. As said make sure all of your fitting are rated for hydraulic pressure not household plumbing fittings which are only rated to 300 lbs. I used a a small garden hose to trial route my hoses, and measure with. Don't forget the quick disconnect fittings you will need in the middle of the run if you intend to take your loader off without removing all of your careful hose routing and ty-wrapping.:)

/ Running Hydraulic lines from my rear remote for grapple
Don't forget the quick disconnect fittings you will need in the middle of the run if you intend to take your loader off without removing all of your careful hose routing and ty-wrapping.:)

Good idea!