Running HOT!!

/ Running HOT!! #1  

roger ramjet

Tractor
XR4046
My XR4046 is running hot. Changed thermostat , thought that might be the problem. Nope! Radiator is clean, full of antifreeze. Guage needle gets about half way up for a while and runs good. Next thing you know the needle has pegged out and it goes into slow mode. Any advice would be appreciated. It's a 2016 year modle with 491 hours. Thanks

/ Running HOT!! #2  
Is the fan belt tight and did you wash the outside of the radiator both sides with soap and water? It might look clean but full of dust..

/ Running HOT!! #3  
X2 on the radiator. Shine a light through it to confirm. They can appear clean and be packed with dust and dirt.

Last edited:
   / Running HOT!! #4  
In addition to what Peter mentioned, check to make sure the coolant is flowing. A bad water pump or a simple air bubble can cause overheating too. Crank up your engine, and with the radiator cap off, see if you can see the coolant flowing. You will have to wait until it's at operating temps (thermostat opens).

Make sure the radiator vents are completely free of dust and dirt, and make sure your fan is spinning with a tight belt.

Other things to check is the oil, make sure coolant is not getting into your oil. If it is, then we have other problems.

/ Running HOT!! #5  
X2 on the radiator. Shine a light through it to confirm. They can appear clean and be packed with dust and dirt.
Yep, shine a light through the fins...all of them...especially the corners. If air can't get through those fins you are going to run HOT.

/ Running HOT!! #6  
May want to check air filter also.

/ Running HOT!! #7  
I usually find that the air filter is full of fine dust.
Have to blow dust out with air hose.
If you haven't changed the radiator fluid in the last
five years now is a good time to do so with a mixture
of 50/50 water being distilled is best.

willy

/ Running HOT!! #8  
I usually find that the air filter is full of fine dust.
Have to blow dust out with air hose.
If you haven't changed the radiator fluid in the last
five years now is a good time to do so with a mixture
of 50/50 water being distilled is best.

willy
From the 491 hours when did you change antifreeze last. Typically the pH will change regarding antifreeze. This tends create anodic reaction in the system. Verify resistance of the antifreeze using Vom meter on dc volt setting. Place red probe in antifreeze and black on ground. .4 volts is considered an issue needs to be flushed. Might need to run boil out in the system to remove any corrosion in the system. Now I will ask how long before overheating happens if AC is off. Same as it is on? Also need to ask if battery is aged , this can also add load to the alternator if you are running AC and PTO electric switch. An alternator under load can add issues to cooling system. These compact tractors could stand to have larger radiator for better cooling while under load. The old gas tractor manufacturers realized this and added more volume to address better cooling.

/ Running HOT!! #10  
Are you sure it’s actually overheating and the temp sensor isn’t messed up? That’s always a good place to start with overheating problems. I’m betting the radiator isn’t actually clean. It takes a lot of work to clean one completely clean and almost impossible to do without removing it.