Run a welder off a generator?

/ Run a welder off a generator? #1  

mbjacobs

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 HST
I have gasoline powered generator rated at 5500 watts peak 4500 continuous. I would like to run my AC arc welder with it. I rarely weld at more than 80-90 amps and I believe the electrodes are at 50 volts so it seems like it should work. (50 volts x 90 amps = 4500 watts). Has anyone tried this?

/ Run a welder off a generator? #2  
I have a 5500, 6500 peak generator that I run a mig welder on.

I think you should look at input amps rather than output.

Maybe be 100% efficeincy in ac, don't know. My mig is dc output not ac. My welder is a 250 amp and I can run it up to about half power. I found the specs for the various settings and can weld up to about 1/4" with the generator.

Later

Gary

/ Run a welder off a generator? #3  
You need to calculate your power from your input voltage and current. A 4.5kw generator is capable of 20 amps at 220v or 40amps at 110v.

/ Run a welder off a generator? #5  
Maury,

I would drop down a rod size and stay in the 50/60 Amp range. E6013 5/64 -3/32 is a good choice. If you never stick an electrode to long you will be ok. The ARC voltaqe is on the order of 30 volts when your welding, stuck (shorted) it's zero and thats when the generator gets real unhappy. I use the 240 volt 20 amp outlet mates with NEMA L14-20P. The generator is breaker protected. The biggest problem I had was adapting the generator to the welder plug. This isn't the kindest thing you can do to your generator but in a pinch it can be made to work. The cost of building up an adapter cable is about equal to a house call from the welder truck.
Al

/ Run a welder off a generator? #6  
I agree with Twinkle Toes, it is hard on the generator. The load constantly varies as you make your weld and the generator is trying to adjust to this varing load. I get a more consistent arc when welding off of the electric co's generator.

I must use the gen set to work out on my place, I haven't turn on the electricity yet so no monthly bill. Already paid for the gen set between projects done myself rather than hiring a welder and saving on electric bills. Even if I had electric out there, I couldn't string a extension cord across a 1/4 mile run.

Gary

/ Run a welder off a generator?
TWINKLE TOES,

Thanks, I should have thought of using smaller rod. I guess I've been using 1/8" for so long I forgot there were other options.

/ Run a welder off a generator? #8  
I have a 4000 Watt Generac Generator/Arc Welder. The welder is of course built in. I have no problems using it at all including 1/8" rods. What you're trying to do is basically the same thing I would assume. Plus tou've got more juice.