Rumely hooked to a threshing machine

/ Rumely hooked to a threshing machine #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I saw this video posted on another forum, and it brought back memories from when I was about 10 years old. In the late 40's we lived in SW Missouri, and I recall watching this same scenario, except it was for real, and not a demonstration. Having watch the tractor-pulled combines in Oklahoma, this was a big adventure for me. I recall the wheat being shocked in the field, being picked up by the wagons and trailers and hauled to the thresher. All this was done with pitchforks, and was pretty labor intensive. They got the job done though. Thought some here might like to see the video:

Rumely hooked to thresher - YouTube

/ Rumely hooked to a threshing machine #2  
That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

My FIL used to tell me stories about rotating threshing days when he was growing up on the farm. Neighbors would gather at one farm, then another, following the thresher. They did the same for butchering in the fall.

/ Rumely hooked to a threshing machine #3  
Still see those old threshers sitting in fence rows once in a while. Pretty cool to see one actually run. Thanks!

/ Rumely hooked to a threshing machine #4  
Thanks for the video:cool:, love watching old iron in action.:thumbsup:

/ Rumely hooked to a threshing machine #5  
Thanks for posting, our barn is over 100 years old and my wife's uncle, age 93, remembers when there was a stationary steam powered thresher under a shed just across the road.

/ Rumely hooked to a threshing machine #6  
I saw this video posted on another forum, and it brought back memories from when I was about 10 years old. In the late 40's we lived in SW Missouri, and I recall watching this same scenario, except it was for real, and not a demonstration. Having watch the tractor-pulled combines in Oklahoma, this was a big adventure for me. I recall the wheat being shocked in the field, being picked up by the wagons and trailers and hauled to the thresher. All this was done with pitchforks, and was pretty labor intensive. They got the job done though. Thought some here might like to see the video:

Rumely hooked to thresher - YouTube

Labor intensive for sure! Me and my older brother shocked and pitched those bundles (3 tine bundle forks), did all the chores, etc. Lots of work went into just growing and harvesting feed for the horses let alone the milking cow herd (never less than 6). Last used a stationary in 1950 or 51 but it was done so we would have a straw stack for bedding use. The community one was powered by a big gas wheel tractor.

Harry K